Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for some new rubber for my SVT. I don't autocross, race or anything edgy, but do drive hard, don't lift when the sign say's 'slow' and need mileage as well as an all-season rating.

I've narrored it down to the Avon Tech M550 A/S ($103 - TireRack), Toyo Proxes 4 ($106 - Tire Barn; installed) and the Falken Ziex 512 ($73 - Discount Tire; installed). On paper the Avons are the 'best' tire...highest UTQG rating, stiff sidewall, etc. Downside would be limited availability and higher entry price (plus shipping and mounting). The Toyo's appear to be a very good tire with the only down-side being a slightly lower mileage potential. The Falkens are the 'bargain' tire...I've heard good and bad regarding various factors (flat-spotting in cold weather, softer sidewall/load rating giving a 'softer' ride, etc.).

Thought I'd solicit input from those of you who may have some experience with these tires in year-round use...

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
I recently replaced my stock P6s with the Proxes 4s on my ST. While I've not driven in any snow yet, I'm very happy so far. They are fantastic in the rain, stick amazingly well for an "all-season" tire, and they are quite a bit quieter than the P6s were.

I have a customer of mine who runs the Avons on his 05 Legacy GT year 'round. He is always telling me what great tires they are, etc. and that he'd replace them with the same tire once they wear out. Said they're decent in the winter (AWD helps of course) but really praises them in the summer/rainy months.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either really. The Toyo might have better availability (in case of a flat, etc), and as a little side bonus they're offering right now a really slick Mequiars car care/cleaning kit for free, with the purchase of 4 Proxes 4s.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I haven't had either on a Focus, but on other cars, I've been pleased with both the Continental ContiExtreme Contact, and the Kumho ASX. Your definition of "all-season" will play into this quite a bit, of course. Here in WA, all-season means basically a tire that's very competent in rain, with snow entering into the equation only rarely, unless you go looking for it.

Of the three you mention, I'd probably be inclined to go with the Toyo, as most of their line seems well though of.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
I had forgot to mention the Conti ContiExtreme Contact too. I had them for a couple of years on an older Audi 90CS Quattro. Loved them in the dry/rain, and they weren't too shabby in snow either, but again AWD helped a lot. Only real complaint I had was that they tended to "flat spot" after sitting overnight, but that'd work its way out after a few miles of driving.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I've got a set of Falken GR Beta FK451's. great summer tire, pretty quiet, handles better than the stock conti's, but I only expect about 30-40k miles out of them. the treadwear rating is the same as the conti's, but the conti's are known to wear prematurely

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
My Contis had a bit over 32K on them when I sold the Audi. Still had ok tread left, but I wasn't expecting more than another 4-6K out of them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am also very pleased with my Proxes4 as well. They have some whine, but I believe that is because mine are siped.

I've got some pics of them up in my gallery.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to update, my idea of 'all-season' is some competence in snow. I commute 110 miles each day and we do get some snow/ice in the winter. I've heard Falken's and Hankook's are prone to flat-spotting when cold.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
We've had fairly mild winters the past couple of years ourself. I don't expect ANY "all-seaon" tire to be as good as a dedicated snow/winter tire would be, and like you simply expect some level of competence in snowy conditions. By nature all season tires are a compromise, good in many aspects of their intended performance, but not the best at any one thing.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I recommend NOT getting Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S if you are in Indiana. They worked ok for one winter (brand new), but they lacked lastyear.

How about picking up another set of wheels and getting some winter tires for them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not looking to do the 'dedicated winter tire' thing, simply because I don't have the $$ to allocate to another change of wheels and tires (I know, over three or four years it makes itself up, but with wife and kid and motorcycles to keep shod with tires(!) its a pretty big hit). I'm fine with the compromises with an all-season tire, but also want the best possible tire for these conditions.

Is anyone running the Avon Tech M550 A/S??? They seem to be the best-rated by Tire Rack, but the least seen....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just as a follow up, I went ahead and purchased a set of four Toyo Proxes 4's. Only had them one week thus far, but have driven from Indianapolis through Chicago to Milwaukee. Initial impressions are that they are much quieter than my worn out Conti's (that's always the case with new tires), maybe slightly less bite on initial turn-in, but much improved grip in the wet and I haven't noticed any tendancy to follow rain grooves. We'll see how they do when winter arrives.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
[thumb] Cool...I'm still enjoying them here and like you am looking forward to winter (if only to check the tires out)...did you send for the Car Care Kit btw ?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ZX4STDoug said:
[thumb] Cool...I'm still enjoying them here and like you am looking forward to winter (if only to check the tires out)...did you send for the Car Care Kit btw ?
DOH!!! I left the dealer right at closing time and was so anxious to get home that I forgot to get the necessary receipts for the car care kit. The dealer DID tell me about it, though. I'll go back this week and make amends.

·
I don't care
8,446 Posts
Yea, grab your receipt and then go to Toyo's website and you can download the rebate form there. It took less than a month for me to get it, I was impressed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts