Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello To Everyone In The Forum....i Just Bought A 02 Black Svt, Its Great, I Love It...i Wanted To Get Use To The Car Before I Start Working On Engine Stuff.....**now I Hear That It Doesnt Take Much To Bring The 170 Hp It Comes With To 200hp....**can Anyone Giude Me To The First Thing I Should Do First..???ive Been Thinking About A Short Shifter And Motor Mounts???wut Do U Guys Think

·
Registered
836 Posts
First off, welcome to FF. Second, the two mods you listed wont give any HP. Not sure where you heard that it doesn’t take much to get a SVT to 200 HP. The SVT (from what I have read) is pretty much maxed out from the factory. I think the only way that 200 HP going to happen is to go FI.
Other people may have better info for you about that.

·
Registered
708 Posts
those are two great ways to start improving the drivability of the car. I wouldn't suggest getting anything more than the rear engine mount cause that'll give you a ton of vibrations. It's up to you though.

i just put in the rear engine mount yesterday and it KICKS Ass, get the VF engineering one. it took some work to get the old one out and the new one in (3 guys and a lot of elbow grease) but it was well worth it.
Your next steps for improving power after that should be drop in panel filter (k&n) or new intake, I use the focussport cool flo intake and it is absolutely awesome. depending on your funds, either get a throttlebody and tune, or get a tune (tom's tune, the best one around...)

by the way, welcome to the forums!

here are some How-to's for the SVT
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69143

these are all suggestions if you want to stay NA (naturally aspired) and not FI (forced induction, meaning turbo or supercharger)

hope that helps!

·
MW2 NE1?
1,612 Posts
those wont get you to 200Hp, i just ordered a STS(short throw shifter). i would suggest spending those 400 bucks+ on toms tune for the svt. you will notice a difference in the way it runs. make sure you give it a tune up, cables i got 8mm steeda from c-f-m.com, plugs can gap to .060. fuel filter a must, oil etc..
i do have the lower motor mount, when the a/c is on it has lots of vibration. but i do feel the car more stiffer. an off road pipe will give you some power, throttle body-better response, cold air intake CAI or short ram intake SRI which is what im running with, are good to have for some lil hp and better exhaust note. and tom will also give you free tuner upgrads when you get some of these parts for your car.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
those wont give you anymore hp...maybe 1 with to the wheels cause the mounts...to reach 200 you will need boost....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Agreed, i think the most i have heard of at the wheels on this site NA is between 180 and 190. Thats takin some money and work. There is a vid floatin around youtube that claims 200hp SVT but there have been dicussions on here at its determined for the most part the guys doesn't really have a clue, you need proof......dyno sheets.

Andrew

·
Registered
179 Posts
those wont give you anymore hp...maybe 1 with to the wheels cause the mounts...to reach 200 you will need boost....
Wow way to be negitive! But he is right 200hp in an SVT takes more than just what people have listed. Dirt Brown is just givin that tough love. It takes a SC or turbo or Nitrous.
If you want to keep it natural aspirated you need to start looking at improving drivablitly.
My fieance (spelled wrong) and I just got a house so boost is out of the question right now for me but I can still have a car thats a blast to drive gets decent gas milage and in my case paid for. And I have a CAI, wraped header, 67mm TB, Steeda STS (no Hp but awsome non the less) and remove the counter wight, and a tune and trust me there is not much more you can do na to these cars for a reasonable price. I have no were near 200 hp but it is fun as hell and easy to drive. I don't need 200+ hp to get me to work!
But...
If you do want 200+hp start looking in the forced induction threads and the focus power threads Tom from "Toms tune" can build you a car with 400+ hp if you need it he has proven that time and time again. YOu really need to throw some boost at these cars to get the big hp's.
It's like any car you can go as fast as your bank account allows
You can go turbo, pro charger, powerworks, or try to find a jackson racing super charger that will put you in the 200 range and you casn find them used some times for good deals.
Start searching the forms and remember you have to be happy driving your car who care if you have 200 hp

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
^^^no tough love at all....Just dont really see how he would gain any hp from those mods....there both non engine related LOL....with full bolt on and tune the SVT only puts down about 155whp and like 145 ft/lbs....the amount of aftermarket is so scarce it only makes since to just slap a powerworks on it and know that you got the best bang for the buck

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
To get the SVT to 200hp takes boost... that's all there is to it. The SVT team did a good job in maxing out the version of the Zetec they put in there.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Very true, SVT made this engine about as powerful as its gonna be NA while still complying with EPA i believe. so yeah, BOOST. EVO3 16G coming for myself soon....

Andrew

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
the only thing you could really do is port the head super far and of course do the svt header setup and all the boltons. higher compression may get you a little farther. custom snorkle off a turbodeisel intercooler. you may be able to hit 170 whp. which is darn close to 200 crank hp. its possible, but really hard. You would also have to have custom cams made as there aren't any for the svt right now!! and you would have to go to about 7500 rpm or so!! I'm making 164 whp, but I don't know what that makes at the crank. its prolly not too far, so you can do better w/ an svt motor as they have wider valves!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
the only thing you could really do is port the head super far and of course do the svt header setup and all the boltons. higher compression may get you a little farther. custom snorkle off a turbodeisel intercooler. you may be able to hit 170 whp. which is darn close to 200 crank hp. its possible, but really hard. You would also have to have custom cams made as there aren't any for the svt right now!! and you would have to go to about 7500 rpm or so!! I'm making 164 whp, but I don't know what that makes at the crank. its prolly not too far, so you can do better w/ an svt motor as they have wider valves!!
Your around 190 to the crank. You can go over 200 HP NA @ the crank in a SVTF if you go with a stroker short block with the 10:1 pistons. Boost is not the only way to break the 200 HP goal in a SVTF.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you could make 200 w/o the shortblock stroker kit!!

·
Michael J. Caboose
6,512 Posts
Dudes...a swap to Mobile 1 Full Synthetic will easily net this guy 200whp. I've seen it. On youtube. Yesterday. [paranoid]

·
Registered
400 Posts
hahaha funny.....200 hp at the crank is cool and all but wheel is better then power at the crank. IMO

Andrew

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well ya, duh, wheel is all that matters!!! crank is just another way to measure it!! no biggie!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
hey what weight reduction do you have done ^^^ i want a rough idea of how much mine weighs so i was cuirous, sorry for being off topic

Andrew

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
haha, alot!! I have absolutely no interior whatsoever!! I had no AC, but put that back in. 1 sparco lightwieght racing seat is it. no gas, braille battery (wasn't mine, borrowed it from a friend, but I know have my own!!) low fluids, shaved metal in the rear. only thing i have in is the front dash.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
o, the stock svtf weighs 2750 i think, the zetec weighs 2550. This is curb weight

1 - 20 of 36 Posts