Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm due for a new car since my car is going to my little brother and I am tired of my automatic anyways. And I realy want a focus ST or a Focus SVT zx3 (not the zx5 but is there a bigg difference in performance?[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] side question lol) i do have money saved up to buy a turbo by next year just something to keep in mind and just in case it matters.

Well a friend of mine has a 2007 focus st with only 50k miles he is selling it to me 5k maybe a little more. Beautiful and all black very clean inside and out . I wil really like this car since I'm really familier with tthe duratec engine. It hasn't giving me any problms what so ever and drive the hell out of my 2.0 duratec fofo.

But by god , the SVT's are a beautiful Hatchback! And simply the svt badge must feel nice having lol and that getrag trans 6 speed must be nice too I have driven 2 of these cars one stock and one with an intake and exhaust didn't realy feel much of a difference, but still a nice and pretty quick. ONLY downside I can find is 91 gas required for it stock.

Lol so simply put what car would be most likely less of a hassle to own keeping in mind that I will turbo it, not a TRACK monster just want a faster daily driver, downside and upside to each car. Any input welcome. I would realy apprciate it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had 3 SVT's, all ZX3 and I would never buy ZX5. No difference in performance and since I'm single I just don't need those extra doors. Between each SVT there was SRT4 WRX and Audi but I was always looking for a nice SVT for sale. I love them. They're very fun to drive and the one I have now has K&N short intake, Magnaflow exhaust and I flashed it with Diablosport Predator and it's a completely different SVT. Runs much smoother and drives better than stock.

On the other hand I'm a big fan of ST but only with the Street Appearance Package. If I ever gonna sell my current SVT, ST will be my next choice. Either black or red.

I can't help you decide which is nicer to drive when they're turbocharged but someone else will answer to that question.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I've driven stock and boosted SVT's and I prefer my ST over them. Performance wise in stock form the SVT and ST are pretty much equal.

All in all, the choice is yours. I wouldn't trade my ST from any other focus (except for the 2012 ST [thumb])

·
Registered
467 Posts
I love my svt ive had two(so far) but i really looked hard for a st with the street appearance package that is also one sexy car

·
Registered
314 Posts
Never driven the ST but I own an SVT and its a blast. As for the problem with 91 octane...its usually a 30 cent per gallon difference max, so it would cost you an extra $3 to fill up, not that bad. Plus you can still get 30 mpg with the SVT so it wasn't a big deal for me. Prob helped that I was already putting 93 in my other car. [hihi]
I would think you would use a higher octane gas after the turbo set up anyway no?

A ST with 50,000 for 5 g's sounds like a great deal to me though idk if you should pass that up, especially if it is you friends and you know the history of the car, assuming that its good. lol

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Stock, SVT's and ST's are fairly similar performance wise. The one thing I've really noticed is the difference in torque. Zetec engines have no torque lol. Especially when compared to the Duratec, which feels like a different car entirely.

Turbo'd, I have no idea but I would guess still probably pretty close? Not sure though.

I personally like the looks of the hatch better. I'm not a big fan of trunks anymore lol.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
no sense in bitching about needing premium in the svt, the first thing you mentioned is going turbo which would need premium anyway

eithers a good choice, just find a clean one and take care of it

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no sense in bitching about needing premium in the svt, the first thing you mentioned is going turbo which would need premium anyway

eithers a good choice, just find a clean one and take care of it
Haha not sayinganything bad that its 91 jus saying thas the only con I see that I still have to spend a couple of bucks extra for the same performance on a stock foci. When I turbo it of course I wouldnt mind the 91 at all you know haha. But yu guys are right doesn't seem to much of a difference.

And yeah I wouldnt think of buying a focus if I know its been havin engine trouble and terrible shape. What would it take to make the ST ta about 170ish or more? Because I made up my mind I can't let this offer slip through my fingers its a great clean black st with red seats,everything stock runs great 50k miles I know the car history I dont think its a bad deal. And The st doesn't have traction control unlike the svt, what are the down side and upside to this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I love my ST, extremely fun car to drive..especially now that its lowered! My car does have traction control though, I guess it was an option. One thing though: you HAVE to get the Steeda SRI. It really wakes up the engine!

·
Registered
314 Posts
And yeah I wouldnt think of buying a focus if I know its been havin engine trouble and terrible shape. What would it take to make the ST ta about 170ish or more? Because I made up my mind I can't let this offer slip through my fingers its a great clean black st with red seats,everything stock runs great 50k miles I know the car history I dont think its a bad deal. And The st doesn't have traction control unlike the svt, what are the down side and upside to this?
Deff an awesome deal. I bought my SVT with tom's tune already done to it and the previous owner had the traction control turned off permanently, it just keeps you on edge. Always have one hand on the wheel cuz if the front wheels catch a rut while your hitting the gas it will shoot it whatever direction it pleases. Then you have your obivious lack of traction in the rain and snow. But if your going to turbo it I would say you don't want the traction control to interfere with the power to the wheels. Traction control in the foci is very intrusive and will put a damper on your acceleration.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Deff an awesome deal. I bought my SVT with tom's tune already done to it and the previous owner had the traction control turned off permanently, it just keeps you on edge. Always have one hand on the wheel cuz if the front wheels catch a rut while your hitting the gas it will shoot it whatever direction it pleases. Then you have your obivious lack of traction in the rain and snow. But if your going to turbo it I would say you don't want the traction control to interfere with the power to the wheels. Traction control in the foci is very intrusive and will put a damper on your acceleration.
That where a diff comes in handy....

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
I like the hatchbacks over the sedans as far as looks go. You can get similar performance out of either engine when going turbo. If you were only wanting to do bolt ons, the ST would be more responsive to the intake/header/exhaust/balance shaft delete and tune than the SVT.

The thing is though, its going to be really hard to find a super clean SVT with only 50k on the clock. The ST being a 2007, is going to be at least three years newer than any SVT you find. I tend to lean towards the newer car and less miles as a higher selling point. The 6speed getrag is ok, but the 5 sp in the ST is also no slouch.

230whp on stock internals and 91octane is what FSwerks gets from their stage 2 turbo kits, sounds like tons of fun for a daily driver. I would also suggest upgrading the clutch and think about an LSD.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
2011 post with random replies...lol
LOL......I was yrs ago in this same position back in '04......Drive two different svt's (out of a dozen) down the 405 & then took a new at the time model st down the same freeway...the grunt of the 23 sold me. I do <3 svt's thou...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts