Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Your MPG is to high driver harder [hihi]
Lol, 31.x mpg is pretty low, but the best I've seen in my car was around 42.1 mpg closer to stock back at 4000 or so miles when I drove to Cincinnati and back over two days averaging 65 mph on i75, including some city driving at both ends.

By comparison 31 is right around the combined EPA rating, even with driving further, and more aggressively lately so it's dropped from nearer to 34 avg before winter down to around 31 through out the winter. Although I still have a tendency to try and shift early and often on the way up. [rofl]

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
very nice! i dig the spoiler alot. i do however wonder if the ST front clip swap just HAS to come w/ the ST badge?? i'd just figure if they made a GT500 clip for the 05-09 Mustangs w/o the snake in the grill they could do the same for the 2012+ Focus.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
very nice! i dig the spoiler alot. i do however wonder if the ST front clip swap just HAS to come w/ the ST badge?? i'd just figure if they made a GT500 clip for the 05-09 Mustangs w/o the snake in the grill they could do the same for the 2012+ Focus.
Currently Ford does not make any other grille for the ST bumper cover as these were intended to be collision repair spares for current production 2013+ ST models only. They don't make the grille without the badge recess for the car. Of course by being on the same chassis its a simple straightforward swap to the better looking (in my personal opinion) facia.

The center grille is all one piece and the badge recess is molded on. It would be blatantly obvious that something was missing if it was not installed.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Managed to get sun burnt in the face despite it being rather cold out, but was standing in the sun all day when not driving, then had to drive with all the windows down which nulled the tint except on the w.s. so as to give the corner and ems workers easier access should something have gone wrong.

Got passed by pretty much everyone, probably messed up the racing line more than was on it and had to keep slowing down on the straight aways to let other cars go by, but didn't kill the brakes and in certain sectors was within 10-15 mph of the ST in the same group.

Got to meet/ slightly hang out with two of the local guys from ST nation who asked what I'd done with the car when they saw it, but were polite and friendly. Got to take a ride on the low speed parade laps in the back of one of the modified STs, a TS ST3 with the redline tuning struts, and other pieces, including a bigger exhaust kit that droned like a MF, they actually seemed to say that on full chat mine with the stock ST exhaust sounded quite nice, lol.

One other person asked about the car if it was an ST or what was done to it who had a fiesta, but afaik wasn't running it on the track except for the parade laps which had been delayed from lunch due to some one dumping a bunch of oil.

Then on our last run there was too much gravel in turn 6, etc....

I was able to carry way more speed from the hill towards the back straight than on it because I had to let cars go by, we were not racing, etc.

The ST2 in my run group which was in a low speed collision and had both bumper covers replaced, the grille shutters, and at least one crash beam allegedly, so that was when he had the cover and grille painted to look almost like the stock MK3 in race red.

TS ST3 with aftermarket / retrofitted projector fogs vs FGM SEL with ST Front.

Have a headache, am sore, and my face feels burnt, but feeling the grip, then it going light over the crest and then it squealing on tcs the whole way down the hill was an amazing feeling when I finally got it moving fairly quickly, but it did begin to get squirrely at that point.

Car read a low of 23.x mpg on the track when left in either D or S, mostly S auto to focus on steering and braking around the bends.

End of trip read 25.5 mpg and I got the Eco Champion trophy on the way home from the track.

Hand calc on refueling the half tank with 87 octane instead of the 93 octane used for the track day was 26.8 mpg.

I should note that the STs were doing about 10 miles to the gallon on the track, although both were quite a bit more agressive drivers than I am, and I don't have nearly the same experience on the track.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Very exciting Ben. Pictures would be good now
Congrats, Ben!

The ST is lower than the NA Focus?
Some sources are claiming 0.4" others 0.5" but yes the ST is lower.

Pics or shens!! Hahah
I would make them fix every little ding on the car... Im anal like that... for what you paid, it should be perfect...
But Congrats on the New GF [thumb]
I would have and I had them try to fix it, but I wasn't letting them rape the paint beyond the clear coat and repainting the whole g-d side of the car.

Here's pictures, starting with a few of the last ones with P.E.S. #2:

That perfectly fitted valance [woot]

Say wait a second, I've got a four square information screen now with trip time, avg mpg, trip distance and dte all on the same screen. [woot]

Of course it's lacking the average speed and instantaneous fuel consumption screens of the Euro models, but it's a start [giggle]

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You traded in?
Yes I did. Not because the other car was broken but because when I stopped to think about it, the cost to finish the body work alone on the other one was still another ~1200 in parts + paint and labor + if I wanted the engine and gearbox that's close to 11k, then the bigger front brakes, modified suspension (altered geometry and revised rear linkages), the recaro seats are at least $1500 each in new parts just for the covers and head rests, let alone any different foam, etc, it adds up real quick. Although I wasn't that convinced I had to have the power at the expense of mileage before.

Two weeks ago today I picked up an Ingot Silver ST2 that I test drove the previous Saturday.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

She looks mean, but she's really a sweet heart.

All black trim, no slip ups from MAP here.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The irony of finding a copy of Popular Science at the tint shop with a print ad for the Focus ST in Performance blue tinted to the 9s saying

Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde followed by the tagline EcoBoost Fuel Economy and Turbocharged Performance. Lol

Side shot.

Obligatory cell phone pictures to prove it happened.

It did take them way longer than I would have ever imagined it would take however.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So what percent did you go with looks like 5 i on the back half and 20 or 35 up front...did you tiny the front window also

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
So what percent did you go with looks like 5 i on the back half and 20 or 35 up front...did you tiny the front window also

Sent from my SPH-D710 using FF Mobile
It's not 5% anywhere. It's around 30-35 on all the windows minus the moonroof.

·
Registered
309 Posts
From the way the pic was takin looks like 5%

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Got home around 3 or 4 ish pm and started to change the 17"s on since it's been getting too cold in the morning to drive the Focus on the summer only 18" tires. Looked under the carpet and foam cover for the spare wheel and tire assembly to locate the jack and the wrench. Apparently they did away with the stupid thin rod through the jack as the actuation mechanism.

They also redesigned the wrench so it no longer extends outward with a pin to hold it in or out, but the wrench portion rotates around to allow you to position it on the jack or the lugs in a predictable manner. It probably costs them less that way but it seems to work better.

Oh and those 18" are heavy as heck, lol. The 17" set up isn't the lightest in the world being an O.E. setup, but it has to shave at least 2-5 lbs off the wheel and a similar amount off the tire probably (well maybe less off the tire).

Took nearly 2-3 hrs between running up stairs to get or trade wheels to cranking with the temporary duty screw jack while also not rushing too quickly.

Just beat the rain, it drizzled a little bit while working on it off and on, but the rains held off until just after I got the last wheel inside the door.

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Took the car out for a little bit of a trip today.

Car took a long time to warm up initially, especially in town.

Upon unburying the car from it's frozen tomb the engine coolant temperature was -8 C (17.6 F) with the mirror reading 16F outside. It took the longest time to warm up to 50C. It seems like they calibrated the instrument panel coolant gauge a little bit differently in that it doesn't come close to half until it hits nearer to 50 than 40 unlike the 12 SEL, and it also pointed slightly lower than before.

Car didn't warm up above 60C until crawling onto the freeway and up to 45-60 mph or so. Then eventually it warmed up to 88-91C and fluctuated with speed and load. When I stopped to eat the car cooled back down to 68C and then once in town it still warmed back up to 70-80 C.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts