Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Fanatics,

I was wondering what you thought about this ebay deal as an upgrade to my wife's daily driver (It has 72k miles on it. We bought it at 35k with what I presume were original shocks and struts.)

http://tinyurl.com/fhu8d

What will those springs do to the current setup? I don't think she wants her suspension rock hard...just tightened up a bit.

Thanks for your expertise.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
That's a really good deal, if you ask me.

I drive on AGX's and sprint springs... It's a fun combo.

Since it's for the wife, and she probably has 0 interest in adjustability...
The Svt suspension kit is cheapo, and quite an increase in handling performance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response.

It looks like the SVT kit you suggested is over $100 cheaper. Do you think the quality of the shocks/struts/springs in the SVT kit is as good? We are planning to keep the car for a long time, so if there's a tangible quality/durability difference I'd probably spend the extra hundred. You are right though; we'd probably have little use for the adjustibility.

How many hours of shop labor am I looking at to install one of these kits? Will either or both of them lower the car much?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You'll see about .75" drop with the SVT suspension and between 1.5" - 2" with the suspension in the link.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The SVT suspension will also ride a lot better. Lowering 1.5 inch or so requires very stiff springs to keep from bottoming

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I agree with Foci_Fosho. Unless you wife plans on autocrossing or really likes spirited driving, she will probably never use the adjustability. The SVT kit does ride great and should last a good amount of time. If for some reason the dampers do ever go in the SVT kit, you can put the KYB AGX shocks and stuts in instead of the SVT's no problem.

As for how much labor...Best bet would be to call shops around your area and ask for a quote. You also may want to soak some bolts in PB Blaster since those are going to be a bear to get off (Mainly bolt on the rear LCA, tire rod end bolts and front sway endlinks). I'm in CT with 76k miles and PB Blaster was a life saver. Depending on how the rear lower control arm bolts are, you may need a new LCA if the shop decides to drop the rear LCA to do the rear springs. The sleeve inside the bushing likes to seize to the bolt if it has seen sand/salt winters.

The Vogtland springs you linked too actually shouldn't ride that harsh.

Spring rates:
Front: 125/154 progressive
Rear: 165/188 progressive

Progressive springs start off soft and as they compress, they get stiffer. They make for a comfortable ride and then when you push them, they stiffen up.

In comparison the SVT spring rates are:
F: 129 lb/in
R: 157 lb/in

The ZX3/LX/SE/ZTS rates are:
F: 110 lb/in
R: 117 lb/in

Those are linear as well so they are that stiff throughout their range.

Also, get a new set of front sway bar endlinks and upper strut bearings. They wear and if you are going to have them off the car, it's better to do it all at once.

Is there anyone local around you have has a aftermaket suspension? Maybe let your wife ride in the car and see if she likes the stiffness and get a setup with similar spring rates and damper combo. Just please don't get lowerings springs and stock dampers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Foci_Fosho said:
That's a really good deal, if you ask me.

I drive on AGX's and sprint springs... It's a fun combo.

Since it's for the wife, and she probably has 0 interest in adjustability...
The Svt suspension kit is cheapo, and quite an increase in handling performance.

Can you link me to said kit?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great info everyone. This forum is such a great resource. I think I'll go with the SVT package since it cost less and more what I'm looking for. You guys saved me again.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
They typically don't sell parts on Ford Racing's website...they just have an online catalog of parts sold by their network of dealers. Off the top of my head, McNews and Summit Racing sell the kit.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Steve at Tousley Ford is another great guy to get parts from, and usually cheaper than other FRPP dealers.

·
Registered
613 Posts
yeah but the kits are still on major backorder
took me just over 2 months to get mine in
and who ever put mine together
gave me a passenger side zx3 knuckle instead of the svt
that took a week to correct, and it's been sitting under my table
for a few months,
so hope they get it right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts