Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i drive a 2002 zx3 with as far as i know stock suspension other than tein lowering springs (bought it that way) its pretty low theres only a little wheel gap which is nice. in the fourm it says tein s tech springs are a 2 inch drop but they bottem out over bumps it feels a little wobely so i think im going to get the svt kit with the sway bar

would this be an upgrade ?
would it be better to replace everything and use the tein springs? if their still good?
how do i know if their bad?

i also will b doing poly bushings
and its gunna defanatly need an alignment

any help would b great

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just wait for Geezer to chime in, he's the authority. Basically you're bottoming out because it sounds like you have a large drop on stock dampers. The dampers can't deal with that. When you upgrade, you gotta do springs AND dampers in matched sets. The FRPP kit is the best bang for your buck a Focus can get. $300 or so delivered to your door.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Slate's correct, not matching the Teins to a performance shock/strut is probably the source of your problems. A stock damper will be ruined in no time with that low of a spring. On our ZX3 we initially used the Eibach pro system (springs and shocks) and then the SVT kit with rear sway. The SVT kit was not available when we got the Eibachs (in fact there wasn't much available at all for the Focus back then). Of the two, I personally preferred the SVT kit. The extra suspension travel and ride height was better for everyday driving (especially wintertime and deep snow). But yes the 1.5" drop of the Eibachs did look nice, but other than that, the SVT kit matched the Eibachs performance wise. In summary, if you want to use the Teins you'll need a good shock to go with them. For that short of a spring I'd recommend Koni Sports. Shorter stiffer springs require shorter firmer shocks. If you can live without a significant drop, I think you'd be happy with the SVT kit as it affords significant handling improvements.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
soo basicly 300$ svt set up would do me best
does anyone know how much wheel gap there is on the svt suspension with 17 inch rims

·
Registered
728 Posts
IIRC there is the FRPP SVT kit and the FRPP dynamic kit. I'm not entirely sure what the difference in height is, just the dynamic is stiffer. And I'm only 90%sure that the FRPP kit we all refer to is the SVT suspension.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
There's plenty of confusion on the available Ford Racing Performance Parts (aka FRPP) kits and combos. That's the reason I put this summary together:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224303

There are several SVT "kits" (all have 1/2" drop springs). What we refer to as the FRPP kit is actually a combo of two FRPP products, the SVT shock set and a 1.5" lowering spring. The Dynamic suspension is a complete and separate animal altogether. These are very stiff shocks/struts that were developed for Focus Spec racing. Not many people use these for the street. One is built by Dynamic but is referred to as the "multimatic" . These are an inverted design shock and have massive tubular shafts. Then there is the Dynamic by Tokico. These are essentially a race shock (super firm) of standard configuration. Confused yet?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
M-3000-zx3 is the one im looking at 302 shipped whats the one with the 1.5 drop or do i gotta order different springs seperatly

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
M-3000-zx3 is the one im looking at 302 shipped whats the one with the 1.5 drop or do i gotta order different springs seperatly

That part number is for shocks/struts only. You'll also want the M-5560-zxm springs (00-05). You can get that combo (shocks and springs) delivered from Tousley or Hillbish Ford for about 300.00.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My error, the shocks to be combined with the previously referenced springs are part # m-18000-zx3. The kit you referenced is one of two SVT kits available. Both will drop a non-svt 1/2". If you want more than that you need to use the part numbers above. Once again check Tousley and Hillbish for better prices than Ford Racing's suggested retail price.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with the svt kit i bought energy poly bushings the master kit for ford focus there was no svt kit and everything should fit right except for the 21 mm rear swaybar for 20mm bushings? or would i be able to squeeze thoes bad boys in

immm tryin to make my car tighter than a 12 year old ;)
which doesent make sence cause my cars only 9 years old lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts