Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys;

I have a 2008 Focus plain jane 4 door i have owned for about 3 years now and 80,000kms of my driving. Its getting time to service the suspension (actually in the coming spring), and i had always planned to upgrade when that time came.

The problem is, from the info I have read here, i am getting confused with the choices, and im not sure the best route to take. So i am looking for advice. As always, price is always a factor.

I am looking to upgrade in 2 stages.
1) First stage is to add sway bars, and see how that feels.
2) Second stage is to upgrade the suspension, and replace the joints, and possibly bushings if needed. Im not sure if i want to go with poly bushings, im worried they will get annoying for me on long road trips.

The car has 17" wheels for the summer with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 tires. (winter it has Blizzaks, but that dont matter). This car is my daily driver, and i put a ton of miles on it, so comfort can be an important factor. As long as the suspension is not bone jarring, i can put up with a sporty feel. Although I have autocrossed it, i am not really racing or setting speed records with it (I have other toys for that!). I just dont ever want to brake when I am out on twisty hillside roads lol. It was OK at doing that when i first bought the car, but its starting to exhibit ALOT of body roll as the suspension wears out.

I would like to retain the stock height as close as possible, and I would like the car to appear totally stock. Been looking at the stuff from Steeda, and FRPP but getting very confused with all the choices. What can you recommend?

Here is a pic of the car taken this year.

TIA for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add;

I think the shocks are a very important, so i am thinking the KONI's for those, or for a low cost option a Ford replacement part.

I also need clarification on exactly what can be installed on the 2008 model. It seems like a wierd year for stuff that fits. For example, do i need those extra brackets for a rear sway bar? Is there a better engine mount for our cars? etc..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If you don't have a rear sway bar now, a mounting kit is essential to add them.

Struts/shocks for '06 up will fit, springs for the front need to be matched with the right top plates/bearings or 1 piece top bushings depending on the year they were meant for. ('05-'07 were the same, as were '08-'11)

Earlier struts only fit with an "Omni kit" adapter set, and the springs from '00-'04 need the matching top plates/bearings.

Poly bushings for the suspension aren't for anyone concerned with ride quality.

You need to decide on a drop amount you'd be comfortable with if you want springs of a stiffer than stock rate. Nothing stiffer avail. (unless custom) for the stock ride height.

For a comfortable ride, the only engine mount worth an upgrade is the RMM or dogbone. Poly mount there can reduce engine torque effects without a large effect on vibrations (still not as smooth as stock).

Eibach suspension kit (smaller drop version) is one way to get most of the pieces together for an upgrade at a reasonable price.

The old SVT kit could be used with adapters on your year, hard to find now as it's only avail. as new old stock from vendors who purchased them before Ford discontinued it. That was the best option for a minimal drop with a comfortable but stiffer suspension.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Just going to add if you decide to drop vogtland is another option as its a progressive spring that's softer than ribach going down the road but when its pushed it'll stiffen up the same or more than eibach.

Just a though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep the helpful tips coming guys. I appreciate the replies.

To add, im not against dropping, but i would like to stay as tall as possible. I think my suspension is starting to sag, and its probably the equivalent of a 1.5" drop. I dont want to ever worry about clearing a speed bump.

As for poly, My other cars have poly bushes, so i know what thats all about. I wouldnt call them uncomfortable. But they are on classic cars where the A-arms flex quite a bit. Not sure if the focus is much stiffer or not. That was the purpose of my question.

I didnt realize the front struts need to be matched, thats good to know.

Can you tell me what is stiffest to softest for springs?

1) SVT
2) Eibach
3) Steeda
4) FRPP
5) Vogtland

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If your staying w/ the same ride height, why not install a set of dampers & call it good?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
To add, im not against dropping, but i would like to stay as tall as possible. I think my suspension is starting to sag, and its probably the equivalent of a 1.5" drop.
The suspension is not going to sag...your ride height should not have changed unless your springs are broken (like rusted completely through and physically broke)

I would add a rear sway bar, wouldnt worry about a front one yet. The front involves more labor as you have to drop the front subframe to access it. I would consider a 1.5" drop and shocks/struts to go with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a plan.

So the Steeda "heavy duty" rear bar is probably not a good idea since they recommend it be used with a larger front bar.

Those eibachs are looking pretty good for the springs.

Thanks for the help. When i get it all done, i'll post up some pix.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
what size is the steeda?
The one for cars ''w/o'' a rear bar I believe is 20mm. And their race bar is a 28.6mm= 1.125''. aka fatman bar, not for you.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea too big lol.. Unless you want lca's and other things.
To hot in the kitchen get out, LOL Thats what I'm running= upgrade the upgrades!!!!!! Eibachs 25mm to a fatman bar!!!! svt front brakes 300mm to 13'' two piece rotors. Welcome to modding!!!!!! How 'bout a 14'' bbk on a '82 RS Capri!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I'm getting at that point. Shut up XD

From svt suspension to vogtland.

Probably after a tune in going to switch my shorty header to svt...

Then cams if the engine still runs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To hot in the kitchen get out, LOL Thats what I'm running= upgrade the upgrades!!!!!! Eibachs 25mm to a fatman bar!!!! svt front brakes 300mm to 13'' two piece rotors. Welcome to modding!!!!!! How 'bout a 14'' bbk on a '82 RS Capri!!!!
Yes sir! Thats why i have other cars with V8's lol. Once you start modding you want MORE!

But i drive this car on 6 to 8 hour trips through scenic country roads (spelled badly paved) all the time lol. So what i can tolerate for a 1 hour drive in THOSE cars and at the race track, isnt gonna work for this car.

I just want to be able to drive 10-20 above the speed limit on twisties and never have to brake. Since i got the 17's on my car with those michelins, the suspension seems really lacking. It rolls too much, and on some on ramps, the car experiences a bit of rotation where the rear end wants to come around.

Just trying to eliminate that and make it more planted.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yes sir! Thats why i have other cars with V8's lol. Once you start modding you want MORE!

But i drive this car on 6 to 8 hour trips through scenic country roads (spelled badly paved) all the time lol. So what i can tolerate for a 1 hour drive in THOSE cars and at the race track, isnt gonna work for this car.

I just want to be able to drive 10-20 above the speed limit on twisties and never have to brake. Since i got the 17's on my car with those michelins, the suspension seems really lacking. It rolls too much, and on some on ramps, the car experiences a bit of rotation where the rear end wants to come around.

Just trying to eliminate that and make it more planted.
Sailor pretty much outlined it in the 2nd post. struts/shocks & you'd need the steeda brackets & U bolts/ sway bar bracket & the add Eibachs 25mm bar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts