Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to the forums and I own a 2006 ZX4 SES 5 speed. I have some pretty bad suspension squeaks that are worse when it is dry outside. When it has rained the squeaks are barely noticeable. The most annoying squeak is coming from the right rear passenger side area just below the rear door area or behind the rear seat. It is a constant high pitch squeak. The other squeak is not as high in pitch and seems to be located just below my feet or more towards the middle area of the floor. Are there bushings in these areas that wear out? Is there any way to grease them or should they be replaced? Has anyone else experienced these squeaks? Thanks for any help provided.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi rbrad6937,

Welcome to the forum! That must be a bit annoying! I suggest having your dealer listen to the squeak, and see if there is any spots they can lubricate so the noise quiets down. Please let me know if I can be of any help!

~Natasha

·
Registered
129 Posts
My squeak was the lower front trailing arm on the right rear suspension. The bushing was no longer attached to the arm so the arm could "float" back and forth on the bushing. This allowed the arm to rub against the mounting bracket and created my squeak. You can look under fairly easy and see if you have a similar issue on any of your bushings. When I saw the arm touching the mounting bracket I got a hammer and lightly tapped the arm, moving it away from bracket. The squeak was gone. If you can't find your squeak I would suggest using WD-40 on a bushing, bouncing the car to check for the squeak, and repeating on the next bushing till you identify the offending bushing.

Options for repair vary from replacing the offending arm to full suspension rebuild, although retrofitting with a bushing kit is possible. It would all depend on your level of commitment, money, time and experience.

I wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Check where your emergency brake cables go through straps under the car. I just read about someone who found an annoying squeak related to the rubber bushings or straps that hold the e-brake cables in place under the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your responses. I will take a peek under the car later today and report back what I find. What about the louder squeak/Groan I hear under my feet as I drive over bumps? Any ideas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The only bushing under your feet would be the wishbone engine mount. You would hear the problem more with engine RPM than with bumps. Is it possible you are hearing a heat shield rattle on the exhaust?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check where your emergency brake cables go through straps under the car. I just read about someone who found an annoying squeak related to the rubber bushings or straps that hold the e-brake cables in place under the car.
You can find the thread Whynot mentioned here.

I had that squeak also on my 07 SES. I sprayed all the rear sway links and suspension connections with white lithium grease, and also the area where this cable goes. The squeaks have been gone, 3 months now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts