Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me try to post it here and see if I get a better response then in the chassis section. A lot of you here are probably running modified set ups for race and DD what ever info is great. I'm not prepped for any particular class or set up my car is number one a DD I wouldn't mind doing a autox event in the future some time though, with that in mind my current set up is a eibach pro springs with some blown out eibach dampers, 22mm front bar and a 28mm rear bar and a rear stress bar. I got koni yellows to install and camber toe links for the rear next I was thinking of getting a little stiffer or progressive set of springs to match the dampers I was leaning more toward the steeda 1.5 drop spring witch has a front rate of 111-160 and rear of 100-260 but I've heard good things about the HR race springs witch are just linear but still I cant remember the exact rates but I believe its like 325 front and 375 rear witch seems to be a little more harsh of a ride from what I here. Any experience with either spring or setups would be much appreciated . Since my car is a DD my initial thoughts is to go with the little bit softer progressive spring to still retain good DD characteristics as well as being good for spirited fun driving and maybe a event or two.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
my car is DD and my autox car. I have the HR race and koni yellows. with the shocks full soft its pretty harsh on the street.

if you are just a casual auto-xer, then I would suggest softer than HR race springs. if you are more serious auto-x, then HR race or coilovers would be the way to go.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Since my car is a DD my initial thoughts is to go with the little bit softer progressive spring to still retain good DD characteristics as well as being good for spirited fun driving and maybe a event or two.
Don't over think this, ^ is your answer.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
HR for daily will break your back, install your dampers and if you want new springs vogtland is another option.

Vogtland
Front: 125/154 progressive
Rear: 165/188 progressive
1.6" drop

and eibachs

Eibach Pro: 1.5”
F: 137 lb/in
R: 171 lb/in

Eibach Sportline: 2”
F: 131~262 lb/in
R: 102~171 lb/in

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
So let me try to post it here and see if I get a better response then in the chassis section. A lot of you here are probably running modified set ups for race and DD what ever info is great. I'm not prepped for any particular class or set up my car is number one a DD I wouldn't mind doing a autox event in the future some time though, with that in mind my current set up is a eibach pro springs with some blown out eibach dampers, 22mm front bar and a 28mm rear bar and a rear stress bar. I got koni yellows to install and camber toe links for the rear next I was thinking of getting a little stiffer or progressive set of springs to match the dampers I was leaning more toward the steeda 1.5 drop spring witch has a front rate of 111-160 and rear of 100-260 but I've heard good things about the HR race springs witch are just linear but still I cant remember the exact rates but I believe its like 325 front and 375 rear witch seems to be a little more harsh of a ride from what I here. Any experience with either spring or setups would be much appreciated . Since my car is a DD my initial thoughts is to go with the little bit softer progressive spring to still retain good DD characteristics as well as being good for spirited fun driving and maybe a event or two.
I'd install your Koni yellows & run that setup w/ a good alignment settings & see how you like that. And you'll have the adjustment of the damping too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everybody but I think ecugrad has a good point.......and some times you just need a extra set of eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
VEKTOR PLATE
5,657 Posts
my car is much more fun with a stock ish spring rate. i have svt springs and kyb agx. havent got a chance to test them on track. but on teh road its a hoot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking to get a D23 ZX5 and want to autocross it. I haven't got a class in mind yet, but I think I will start with H Street and progress onto STF. Of course, I'll first be getting Koni Yellows to control the body and some Rotas with sticky tires. However, I'm undecided on the sway bar.

Is the Steeda 28.6mm rear bar too much bar for the stock springs?
Is the Eibach 25mm a better choice?

I want a dual duty bar that I can start with in H Street and keep with STF.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
For stock springs is 28.6 to big?

Uhh *fk yea its too big haha I have a 25mm in the rear and I run that. If you're starting out that's a good size, a 28mm bar might be a little too squirrelly. However don't plan on running in H stock w/ it (obviously) I'm in stf now, love the car.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Also iirc the 28.6 mm bar tore some guys lca off... Be carful if you do, might suggest getting better lcas

·
Registered
25 Posts
For stock springs is 28.6 to big?

Uhh *fk yea its too big haha I have a 25mm in the rear and I run that. If you're starting out that's a good size, a 28mm bar might be a little too squirrelly. However don't plan on running in H stock w/ it (obviously) I'm in stf now, love the car.
What do you mean don't plan on running in H street with it? You're allowed one sway bar change in street class.

I guess the easy button is the Eibach bar to reduce breakage and provide balanced handling. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, to me, stock class and street class are still very similar. Even in the 2013 stock rules, you were allowed 1 sway bar replacement/removal. That's all semantics though. [:p]

I now have a Ford Focus so I can start pricing out how much it would cost to build up my suspension. I could either keep it and sell my 318, or sell it right away and make a good profit on it. I'll see how I feel after a week of driving it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Well, to me, stock class and street class are still very similar. Even in the 2013 stock rules, you were allowed 1 sway bar replacement/removal. That's all semantics though. [:p]

I now have a Ford Focus so I can start pricing out how much it would cost to build up my suspension. I could either keep it and sell my 318, or sell it right away and make a good profit on it. I'll see how I feel after a week of driving it.
What yr foci? What motor?

·
Registered
25 Posts
2004 ZX5 with the D23. Manual transmission, locks, windows, mirrors, etc. It is a stripper model besides the A/C and high end cluster. It is a great start to a autocross build, especially since I got it for $1400 with 116,900 miles.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
2004 ZX5 with the D23. Manual transmission, locks, windows, mirrors, etc. It is a stripper model besides the A/C and high end cluster. It is a great start to a autocross build, especially since I got it for $1400 with 116,900 miles.
Awesome= 1st cheap mod= do a bsd plug & windage tray.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts