Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Ford Focus ZX3

57,000 Miles...

Problem... Its is making a skeekin noise when the car leans side to side, when ur driving... kinda sounds like something is not lubed... not sure...

Wife took it to a shop, and this is what the Quote of problems was....

F Strut Mount...
R sensa track shock..
F sensa track strut
R&I or R&R Front Shock&or strut

the total price for all th is labor is qoted at $715.91

I am not good with car mechanics... does this quote look resonable.. also... all t his stuff should be worn out at 57k??

anyinfo would be great... Thanks

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,102 Posts
I installed my SVT Suspension on car. It the Cost of the SVT Suspension was $245 not including shipping. That includes Original Equipment on SVT Focus
Includes OEM SVT Shocks/Struts, Springs and sway bar.this:

I don't think that the stock suspesnion would be more expensive than that. Unless the Strut Mount is shot and you need a new one. I dunno, if the mount is shot i'm pretty sure you'd notice it. I'd take it somewhere else and get a different opinion. Not all shops are going to be nice to customers especially women.....

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
the strut mount is really called the steering knuckle so if thats your problem (its what mine was) you have to get a new knuckle and usually a new wheel bearing..... i think the knuckle is like $120 the bearing ships with it IIRC.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
the strut mount could also be the strut bearing caps. Those seem to have more wear and tear than a solid metal steering knuckle.

that quote is semi-reasonable. However, you could spend $250 on the svt kit (better performance) and about another $150-$250 on installation (depending on labor rate)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Sounds like you're getting hosed to me...if they're charging you ~$720 they'd better be installing all-new components and aligning the car for you. I'd go elsewhere...by chance, did she take it to a dealer? That sounds like a dealer quote to me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkaAddict said:
Sounds like you're getting hosed to me...if they're charging you ~$720 they'd better be installing all-new components and aligning the car for you. I'd go elsewhere...by chance, did she take it to a dealer? That sounds like a dealer quote to me...
That quote was from a BIG O Tire, she took it there because, we never herd the noise untill after we got all 4 new tires on the car, so figured big o did something....

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Squeeks can be caused by so many things. I wouldn't spend 720.00 on shocks in the hopes it "MIGHT" fix it. Most suspension squeeks are caused by bound or worn out bushings. I'm assuming the 57K is on the stock suspension. If so, you should replace the shocks not because they're squeeking but because its time to do so. They have led a useful life by that mileage, but its time to say good bye to them. I'd pass on the Monroes. There are several better shocks available for less money. The SVT kit mentioned is definitely one way to do it. If you don't like the modest reduction in height by the new springs you can get just the SVT shocks for less than 200.00. KYB GR2's are a good shock as well which don't cost an arm and a leg. The rears are "really" easy to intall. The fronts are a little more involved. You could save a few dollars doing the rears yourself and then having the fronts done by someone else.

I noticed you're on an airforce base. Many have shop facilities open to personnel. You might want to check that out or see if there's a car cub on base that might help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts