Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 09 focus ses coupe. it is a 5 speed manual and i bought it used with 4000 miles last may. the car is ford certified and has the extended warranty. recently while driving i have had a couple issues when going over light or heavy bumps the suspension in the rear makes an annoying squeaking noise that you can hear even over the radio i was going to take it to the dealer but it is out of factory warranty and i dont want to pay them all that money to look at a car with 20000 miles on it. i am guessing the noise is suspension also another issue just happened today now i am hearing a clunking noise when going over bumps in the front its either the passanger side front or right under the center of the car also when i start the car it seems to start very hard and make a noise almost like a bad motor mount and the motor is shaking i dont hear it other than starting. i really like my car but am getting sort of frustrated with these recent issues. i am really waiting on the st to come out and i will be trading this in on one but only if the price works out right but if not ill be keeping this and just want to know what your suggestions are. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm confused, you have a car with only 20k miles on it and you are concerned about squeeking suspension and a possible bad motor mount? Most likely you just need to lube the pivot points on the rear suspension and though a motor mount shouldn't be bad already you get bad ones once in a while. I would look it over very thoroughly and see what you have before you get frustrated or concerned.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason that I say that I am frustrated and concerned is because like I said the car only has 20k miles on it and when I was driving the other day taking my dad to pick up his car when I started up my car it has made this noise ever since I bought so I didnt think it was to big of a deal but he said it didnt sound right and sounded like a bad motor mount or something which this is my first brand new car I had a 93 del sol before which I did most of the work to and I was used to having squeeks and noises with a 18 year old car with over 200k miles and having to fix things or have things fixed that I couldnt. Im just asking because like I said this is my first brand new car and I dont want anything to be wrong so I figured I would ask on here before I took it down which my dad was saying I should do. I say frustrated and concerned cuz like I said with an old car I was very used to having to fix something or something going bad and with only 20k miles I did not want that to be the case so I figured I would ask here first.

·
Registered
357 Posts
There's a TSB for the e-brake cable on our cars causing squeaks. I had mine in for service and they took care of it. If you search you should be able to find it, it's becoming more widely known as a prominent issue.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sorry, it was a frustrating night at work and I am so used to our cars squeeking sometimes I just didn't think. I'm sure if you look at the things you are talking about they should turn out to be easy fixes. Again, sorry.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi dhoff024,

Did you bring your Focus to the dealer for diagnosis? They may be able to assist. Please PM me with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can review your situation.

~Natasha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies and its no big deal its just weird because the back is squeeking and the front makes a clunking noise but it is only when going slow when I am up to speed on the highway it is solid and I dont have any issues but when I am going slow it sounds like the suspension is just gunna fall out. So it is pretty weird and just makes me scratch my head a little because the car only has 22k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I havnt been under an 09 yet. But if they still have sway bar end links, that would be where I wood look first for the clunking noise. And the rear squeak, like stated above. If there is a tsb for the brake cable , get it looked at.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my 09 sedan was doing the same thing, with the clunk,, the dealer was very helpfull with solving the problems . my car was out of waranty, and they didnt charge me a dime, replaced both of my stabilizer links, 1 control arm bushing , and it was making a whining noise so they looked further and changed both halfshaft/wheelbearing units on the car too. as for the noise in the back, mine does that to it was the parking brake cable( where it goes through a metal loop just before the back wheel it rubs) and they greased it but it only lasted a month, so once a month i grease it myself and it always goes away.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
The squeaking is the e-brake problem. It doesn't sound like that, it sounds like a bushing screeching in it's cage but that's not it. You need new rubber grommets around the cable where it goes through a hole in the body.

The knocking sound from the front suspension is the sway bar end links most likely. If you have a lifetime alignment with a shop somewhere (most alignment shops do this) then take it in to be sure that the knock is not something more serious. I bet it's the end links though.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
X2 on all of the above - The E-Brake cable moves as the suspension moves, & there are places where it makes a LOUD squeak, just as if you had a MAJOR issue....

There's a TSB on one of them (where the cable goes through holders on the swing arm) - MANY folks have found that INSIDE the car the plastic holder for the cable ALSO makes an unusually annoying noise - some lubed it, others switched the orientation to make it grip differently to solve the noise... (Swapping orientations)

Front end noises from sway bar end links are also common - hopefully solved for many miles with the updated links from Ford, which the Dealer would install IF that is your issue...

On my OLDER Focus, I KNEW they were in poor condition (boots deteriorated), but NO noise EVEN after one broke from seizing up!!!

Replaced... Fixed.... KNEW it was due, just didn't even notice when it actually gave up - since I wasn't driving it hard (handling) - and NO noises associated with the problem...

Luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses it definitely sounds like you guys hit the nail on the head with both issues I will be taking it to my local dealer to have it checked out and hopefully I get lucky with coming out of it with no cost which I hope is the case and you figure with a car with only 22k miles on it things like that shouldnt be happening but I am going to take it down and see what happens thanks again for all of the help.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
USUALLY happens at higher mileage, BUT, living in the "Cold White North" CAN make things happen sooner than "Normal"... (grin)

( It's NOT like you were in Buffalo, but even Beaver Falls gets more Winter than average for the country as a whole....)

Say "Hi" to the skydivers down there for me - it's the ONLY reason I know where "Beaver Falls" is.....

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You'll have to pay. A TSB is not a recall, it's a technical service bulletin which is designed to help mechanics figure out odd issues. Basically if a mechanic has a problem solving a customer's issue, and the issue is odd- he writes up a TSB to help other mechanics who might have the same issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
on my 09 parking brake cable( where it goes through the loop on the rear susp.) never has had a rubber grommet. it is designed that way with out one. its just a half loop of cheap metal. and the dealer said all they can do is grease it. because i tried to get a rubber grommet-bushing and they said 08-11 dont have em. because its just the little half loop nothng would stay in it anyway. as far as the clunk, mine stayed after they change the stabilizer links, so thats when they found the worn out driver side back control arm bushing. replaced and noise went away. so iam sure its a easy fix for the dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts