Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a 03 SVT (3 door) this week [:D]. It is currently lowered too much and the tires rub with the slightest flex. The dealership is willing to change the suspension for me if I can tell them exactly what to get. I would be fine going back to stock SVT suspension but a little lower would be ok too. I was just wondering if I could get some input from you guys on here. The focus has adjustable coilovers in front but I need to know what springs to put in the back. The focus has 17" OZ wheels. I will try to put a photo up of it on here.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah...The fenders have already been rolled and at the current height I'm still getting some serious rub (to the point where it's gashing 4/32 tires and I'm putting new rubber on it which will make it worse) so I need to lift it. Is it possible to put spacers in the springs and adjust the coilovers accordingly because I want it low but with no rub or abnormal tire wear.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would say stay with the coilovers you can adjust how high or low you want to go with them the rear should be adjustable to. Everybody want coilover but the cost is up there around $1,000 or more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say stay with the coilovers you can adjust how high or low you want to go with them the rear should be adjustable to. Everybody want coilover but the cost is up there around $1,000 or more.
I planned on leaving the coilovers on the front and adjusting them to the springs I get for the rear. How would the springs in the rear be adjustable? Aren't they just coils?

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
If its a good setup it will have an adjustable spring perch installed with the coil. Just have to get it adjusted all the way around then have an alignment done. Do you know what brand of coilover is on there?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
wheel offset!

I am looking to buy a 03 SVT (3 door) this week [:D]. It is currently lowered too much and the tires rub with the slightest flex. The dealership is willing to change the suspension for me if I can tell them exactly what to get. I would be fine going back to stock SVT suspension but a little lower would be ok too. I was just wondering if I could get some input from you guys on here. The focus has adjustable coilovers in front but I need to know what springs to put in the back. The focus has 17" OZ wheels. I will try to put a photo up of it on h

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah...The fenders have already been rolled and at the current height I'm still getting some serious rub (to the point where it's gashing 4/32 tires and I'm putting new rubber on it which will make it worse) so I need to lift it. Is it possible to put spacers in the springs and adjust the coilovers accordingly because I want it low but with no rub or abnormal tire wear.
I'd check the wheel offset! The stock SVT wheel's are 49mm

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Those are great wheels.. oz's are hard to find. I would just get the coilovers adjusted or go with a Ford racing supension kit. You would have plenty of clearance then. If you could keep tht kit after they take it off and sell it.

·
Deutsche Arsche
2,549 Posts
Just raise the CO up soem and you should be good. If it is rubbing when you turn corners only then a set of roll bars would help in that area. Is it the front, rear or both that are rubbing? Is it only one side?

I am heading down to Morganton on Saturday morning to pick up my Jeep, I can take a look at it then if you don't find a solution before then. I would definately not get rid of the coilovers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on keeping the coilovers in the front and it would be great if the springs were adjustable. The springs are KW brand and I did some research and they should have a perch on the rear springs. What are your opinions on the car? They want 8500 for it na dit has 96k miles. VERY clean car. Whoever had it took very good care of it and fixed it up right. Thanks in advance

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
85s a little high but it is a clean car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just raise the CO up soem and you should be good. If it is rubbing when you turn corners only then a set of roll bars would help in that area. Is it the front, rear or both that are rubbing? Is it only one side?

I am heading down to Morganton on Saturday morning to pick up my Jeep, I can take a look at it then if you don't find a solution before then. I would definately not get rid of the coilovers.
Any kind of body flex gets a pretty intense rub. It is all the way around. I think the entire suspension on the car is adjustable so I'm gonna see if they can just adjust it because the current suspension rides great on flat road....a lot more comfortable than I anticipated. I will keep everyone updated.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Raising the car won't completely solve the problem. It doesn't change the lowest point of suspension travel. To prevent the rub you'd have to run a very stiff spring, which provides no road comfort.
The only fix is to correct the offset or pull the fender.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts