Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my suspension on my 100k focus zx3 this weekend to the SVT kit (still had the old shocks and struts), and I was hoping it would solve this one particular problem I've been having.

The problem is thus:

When I take right turns at highway speeds, the car wobbles. It will oscillate from side to side, not a vibration but a noticeable oscillation. I can't tell if it's rocking or if the body itself is twisting like the back front end is sliding out.

When I replaced my suspension, I noticed that the rear sway bar bushing and links need replacing. When the rear sway bar end links were disconnected, it was very difficult to rotate the sway bar. I haven't fixed this yet. Waiting for MOOG bushings and links to come in.

I also noticed that I can pull my front sway bar in and out (with the wheels off and the suspension unloaded). It has some movement, but it doesn't feel "loose". I don't have noise in the front end, and I don't have noise in the back end.

Is the front sway bar supposed to be able to move laterally? I know it is supposed to rotate freely, but is is supposed to be able to slide in and out as well?

What is causing the car to oscillate when taking right turns, and could a loose front sway bar cause this?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem resolved. It was an alignment and tire problem.

I had two new tires put on the front of the car to replace the rear set. The front set also should have been replaced (had some bad wear patterns) but I wanted to get more mileage out of them first, so I had the front set put on the rear. The combination of new tires on the front and old tires on the back could have been causing a little instability during right turns.

I also had my alignment redone after changing out the suspension and the front driver side and rear passenger side toe settings were about half a degree out of spec.

After I had the rear tires replaced and the alignment fixed the problem was resolved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts