Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 ZX3 SES. It currently has Eibach Sportlines on it, so it sits pretty nicely and corners well. The car has the rear sway bar too, so that helps. The main purpose for the car is to daily drive, but I like to throw it in the corners on occasion, and I don't mind a rough/stiff ride. What I DO mind is noises... I know that it's pretty common for this Gen Focus to make random noises, but when my car clunks badly going over speed bumps slowly, something is broken... I suspect the top hat on front drivers side and the shocks.

So heres the question: What are my options? I could do coils or replace the shocks with some that are more suitable to the Sportlines. Keep in mind i live in an area with pretty crappy bumpy roads. I'd like to bring the car up a little bit if I do coils instead of the Sportlines because I already scrape on some driveways. I've been looking into racelands. It seems that they should last quite some time if I don't slam the car down low since the dampers are non adjustable.

I'd just like to hear what you guys have to say on this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You sure it's not something as simple as swaybar links?

·
Registered
739 Posts
You sure it's not something as simple as swaybar links?
That was my first thought as well. OP, jack up the front of your car and unbolt the front sway bar end links and see how much play is in the joints. If they can easily be moved by hand then you'll have to invest in new end links.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure the endlinks are toast too. I just replaced the back ones with poly bushings because they were smashed and warped badly. I'll look into endlinks.

The reason I think it might be the strut top hat is because the one on the driver's side blew apart when I changed out the springs (re used top hats) And besides, the struts are toast too, so they need to be replaced.

I'm considering the Ford Racing SVT suspension, but I really like the way the car sits now and would hate to go up another 1+", but I might have to.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you need a top hat bearings, use the ford/motorcraft ones. Don't use kyb replacements. For dampers that'll work w/ those springs= Eibach pro dampers or if you can afford it Koni yellows. You need a damper that works w/ a 2'' drop springs. I'm running the same setup= sportlines w/ pro dampers. Rides & handles better then my previously frpp's setup.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to look into some Eibach Pro dampers. I think Koni Yellows are a bit beyond my reach at this point. I'll be looking to upgrade this by the end of November, so I've got time to decide. Thanks Felixthecat for chiming in. Always have something good to say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts