Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any issues with the OE SVT front struts, strut mounts or bump stops? My stock suspended ’04 with 40k has started to just CRASH over certain smallish, sharp edged bumps. It makes a noise on the right side like I hit a 12” deep pothole on things like bridge aprons or frost heaves. I put in a KYB supplied upper strut mount and bearing which helped a little, but not completely. Does anyone have any insight that might help me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I have figured out and fixed the problem. The local Ford dealer faxed me a parts catalog diagram of the front strut asm. The photo showed a sleeve that slips over about one half of the coil and keeps the progressively wound (softer) section from clashing together metal-to-metal. Upon inspection, neither front spring had one and I could easily see where the the coils had been banging together. I ordered two and put them on, no disassembly needed just remove the wheel. It already sounds better. I'll test it with four people this weekend. FWIW, the part is very well made. Molded to fit well, split to install easily, sticky tape inside to secure and even has drain holes so it won't hold moisture. I think it would adapt well to other applications with the same problem as I now understand it is a fairly common issue with progressively wound lowering springs.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
so you are saying your front coil springs are compressing that much that the coils are touching?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey, I just a 2004 SVT with 73K miles on it and its making the same noise. Everytime theres a dip in the road it sounds like the strut is bottoming out on the passenger side. (sounds horrible) but thats the only time it does it. Did the parts you ordered fix yours completley? Also do you know the part number? Thanks for any info!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2008 and they did not fix that same problem with the new cars. I've had it in the shop numerous times to solve this problem but to no avail-they aligned it, they put new strut on it but nothing works. Now they told me to stop before going over speed bumps, railroad tracks etc. Good solution to the problem which would be solved better if they put more tension into their springs. But anyway the problem is the suspension is hitting the frame. Turn your right front tire all the way to the left. Now look at the torsion bar and follow straight up to the frame you should see where it's hitting the frame. I haven't found a solution yet. But I do have some big rubber coil spring mounts I was gonna try to fix it with. Let you know if it works.[scratch] [scratch]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts