Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ladyfriend drives a 2011 Ford Focus sedan and also enjoys a lot of hiking, mountain biking, climbing, etc. We live in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The forest service roads around here can get pretty gnar. I mentioned an idea to her today of lifting her Focus a bit for more ground clearance, putting on some decent all-terrain tires and adding a front skid-plate -- sort of a lite version of a rally Focus.

I thought for sure someone would offer rally type springs to run along with Bilstein HD shocks. Looks like that's not the case. She doesn't need to drop $1k-plus for a rally suspension setup.

Is there anything out there that I'm missing? No one honestly offers a set of springs that'll raise a Focus about two inches? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think this could be really damn fun.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Not that I know of, DGR used to have a rally suspension kit, but it was like 1200 or more.
You could always see if some after-market spacers for the 4x4 world would fit the top of the front struts. then find a used set of rear adjustable spring seats to use with your factory springs to lift the whole car up about 1-2"

you would also most likely need some heavy duty alignment parts but it might work, and dont put too big a tire on there, keep it within an inch of your factory size. and last but not least get some universal Rally Armor mud flaps and have fun.

Just my .02c
Bob

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
trade it in and get a SUV or truck...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, ST.

Why would someone with a handle like "Slammed_2.0" even come into a thread called "suspension lift?"

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
To give his two cents.

Going with a larger wheel may give you the road clearance you are looking for without having to do a lift.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
In the end it will always be cheaper and easier to start with what you need (car wise). If you are going to be hard core offloading a FoFo then there is some truth to saying get a car that was designed for the task. I.E. a Subaru (anyone really) they all came with AWD and have higher ground clearance from the factory.

If you are just looking to do a little minor work to the FoFo for the not so hard offroad trips then my previous statement still stands.
Let us know what you do, and how/what you did to get there. I have thought about doing this all myself as I drive on a lot of construction sites that a made for Trucks, and Im lowered 1.5"!

Good luck
Bob

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
leave mike alone...because he can.....get a subie or anything with awd theres no way you are going to raise a fofo enough to get enough ground clearance to traverse anything...

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
Im dead serious. Lifting a focus will cost plenty-o-money just as dropping a focus. Just trade in for a SUV for A lot of ground clearance but if you dont want an suv go for a Subi or CRV.

What benkap stated will give you an additional 1" clearance with bigger wheels. Try using hockey pucks as used in trucks.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
and even then i dont think hockey pucks will stay still will they mike?

With the pucks i've used for F150s they've held up tight. PVC pipe, epoxy, and longer bolts. Call it a ******* body lift! I would say 1 puck all around would give you good clearance to put a bigger wheel/tire combo...

·
FocusFest Event Team
2,362 Posts
i was gonna say something similar. a rally suspension setup would be the best option for reliability and durabilty with the beat up roads. I would say to keep a 15" wheel or maybe 16" and do a decent tire with a bigger sidewall (keep it within reason though). the other suggestion if you're going to keep a FWD car is to get a limited slip diff in it. wouldn't want to get one wheel in a rut and not be able to get out and just spin. keep even power to both wheels.

but as said before. getting an AWD or 4x4 would be a less expensive option. start with the platform you need and build from there.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
as long as you can find a spacer that bolts to the top of the factory strut and is no more then about 1" tall you should be fine in the front. As for the rear, I would try to find a set of adjustable coil seats from a coil over set up that someone is replacing, that combined with a stock rear spring would allow you to adjust the rear end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hardcore off-roading isn't in the cards at all. The idea came because she likes her car but just wanted a little more ground clearance. AWD or even an LSD are pretty much unnecessary. We also just like the idea of doing something different. At the very least I'll probably end up making her a skidplate to keep protect all the sensitive bits from those nasty rocks. I appreciate the suggestions, guys.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
here's what they do for the subarus.... a spacer for the struts. I know the rear doesn't have a strut setup but I guess the hockey puck thing would work in the rear.

honestly might not be bad lol:

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
^^ oh wow... [facepalm]

someone PLEASE photoshop it and put it on a focus!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have been trying to do the same with my focus. I have to use it off-road for work about 1 week out of the month. I was told to get a truck too! LOL. I had one - hence my screen name. I cant find anything inexpensive for lifting the suspension - maybe heavy duty (stiffer shocks/struts)?. I will be putting taller tires on for the winter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was planning to do this with the 01 SE I just bought, but apparently my auto tranny will not marry a limited slip. :( Oh well, at least I have an economic ride now. [insert tree-hugging smiley here]

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
it needs mud flaps and rally lights!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts