Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im in the process of installing my new eibach sportline springs and pro-damper. the back went on fine, no issues. the front is where i ran into issues. the drivers side went fairly easy except i broke the bolt that connect the rod going to the sway bar to the strut (pivot type bolt). i have to figure out how to fix that now. on to the passenger side. first off the strut that was in there was extremely hard to remove, unlike the passenger side. and upon installation the new strut just will not slide into place. any suggestions?

one more thing i didnt add, the previous owner of the car had installed 2 different types of struts on the front of the car, drivers= stock i believe, passenger= monroe. (previous owner= f-ing idiot- long story)

i just need suggestions on what could make this process a bit easier.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
New endlinks are available from ford of course.. Or you could try those adjustable endlinks from f2... However those are more $$$, and you probably don't want to wait on shipping... but that option is there.

" first off the strut that was in there was extremely hard to remove, unlike the passenger side. and upon installation the new strut just will not slide into place. any suggestions?"
-------------------

two struts, from different manufacturers might have a different diameter, and the wheel knuckle is probably tightened up...

Isn't there a slot/groove where the big (15mm ?) bolt goes thru the knuckle..?
Insert a crow-bar, or a big ass screwdriver and try to widen it up.

If that doesn't work, Insert the original Strut, and wiggle and giggle it side to side to make it wider to accomodate the pro-dampers

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah i had some difficulty with mine as well. i took the whole rotor and all off the camber Came out really easy after that. Good luck![cheers]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just finished up new front struts on a 2003 wagon with a broken spring. The passenger side was absolutely miserable - the old one came out easily enough, but the new one, which measured roughly 1/4" longer (MOOG quickstrut) just wouldn't go in. In fact, we went through so many gyrations trying to install it, we ended up disengaging the CV axle and tearing the CV boot (which may already have been compromised). After replacing the axle, we found there was only one sequence that allowed everything to come together - first the strut into the knuckle, then the axle into the knuckle, then the lower ball joint, which we had previously disconnected from the control arm.

The driver's side, however, took roughly one tenth the time to replace. After replacing all three motor mounts, the car no longer feels like it's going to shake itself apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts