Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the frpp kit from Mike at Hilbish. He installed the Camber Kit on the front struts, and I ordered the SPC Rear Adjustable Camber Rear Control Blades. I have gone through the Ford factory manual and it says that the Rear Upper arm inboard/outboard bolts, rear lower arm outboard bolts and the rear shock absorber bolts are to be discarded and replaced with new. Does anybody actually do that? Or is there something special about the bolts that require it?
Regarding the front struts. The camber kit plate rotates to adjust the front camber alignment. For this is has a 3/8" square hole. But where should the hole be (if you will) during initial install?
Yes I know I said I would not do it myself (total wimp.. thats me). But I have all the tools and it does look simple enough to do myself. So reconsidering.
Thanks

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
You may be forced to replace them. Sometimes the bolts seize. Mine did that and for four new bolts, nuts and washers ran me $60. You may tear some bushings which may require you to get a whole new peice.. I hope your lucky and don't have to do this.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I will have a seize problem. The manual says to not reuse them though. So I guess I better find out how much the bolts will run me.
Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am wondering about the same thing. I just replaced all my rubber bushings with poly bushings. I reused all the stock bolts beside a couple that were seized and had to be cut out.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am wondering about the same thing. I just replaced all my rubber bushings with poly bushings. I reused all the stock bolts beside a couple that were seized and had to be cut out.
Which also raises the question for me >> should I apply anti-seize to the bolts for future?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Most factory manuals say to replace these sorts of bolts every time. OEM struts for instance, sometimes come with new nuts/bolts. I think it's a liability problem....they just don't want to take chances.

Guaranteed.....body shops never (that I know about) change these bolts when they work on cars. They just use everything over. Mechanics don't either....maybe on their own cars if they have some new ones laying around.

Unless there's a known issue....nuts and bolts can be reused.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there just a standard bolt. They don't have 'locker' threads. OK! I will reuse. What about the anti-seize? Yes/No? Anyone?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I would use it to make sure nothing happens.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
anti-seize never hurts, use it, you'll be glad you did if you ever need to take anything back apart again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts