Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting my springs in the mail any day now and I just wanted to know if anyone had some good pictures to help me out on the removal and installation of the springs. I looked at them yesterday and the back doesn't look to bad but I'm not so sure about the front. For the back do I have to pull the sway bar off? I'm a little worried about the project too tell you the truth. I got someone that is going to compress the springs on the front for me I just need to get them off and put them back on again. Just don't want to play with it all day. Any good advice?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
For the rear, you don't have to remove the sway bar. Just detach it from the control arms, and swing it out of the way. Even if you had to remove it, its a piece of cake.

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
It's not something to guess at or take chances with, if you are uncomfortable, unsure and don't have the proper work area or tools then it may be worth the cash to have someone install it for you.

Depending on your area I would guess maybe $60-100 to have it done or a case of beer if it's a good friend.

My 2¢

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
JUST BE A MAN AND DO IT!!!!! (kidding, of course).

i had never actually done any suspension work on any vehicle before the focus (except for changing a shock or two on an old f150, but that's easier than an oil change). it's not that hard, really. you WILL need a strut spring compressor, though. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS JOB WITHOUT ONE!!!!! most parts stores have one you can rent. if you have to buy one, though, i'd say have someone do the work for you since you'll spend half the money of an install on the tools alone.

a chilton's manual will help you greatly with this job (and is a good investment on any car you own). that's all i used. install is just the exact opposite of removal. if you think you might get confused, snap some pics before you start.

personally, i say go for it. you'll never learn otherwise. just be safe and take your time.

Mike

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to do it. I do have a garage that will compress the springs for me all I have to do is take them off and put them back on. The front just looks alittle tough. I have a few people that are going to watch over me, so if I screw up I guess they could help me. But I'm deturmined to do it my self

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
good man. if you're going to have a shop put the new springs on the dampers (which is what i'm assuming you're saying), the job should be cake. that's really the hardest part, anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Yes its not hard at all once you get past the spring tension of the rear arms and swapping the front springs.

If you are the slightest bit worried, pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The intro issue of Focus Fanatic (I've seen copies still at Barnes& Noble and Media Play) had step by step instructions with pictures. They installed new springs and struts/shocks on a focus wagon. The rear is a little different but not that much to worry about. The fronts would be identical. Installing springs is a moderate mechanical ability rating. Its do-able in a driveway,if you have a good collection of tools (air tools nice but not required and a mandatory spring compressor) jacks stands, and some common sense. Recommedation, work one corner of the car at a time. Example, pull one of the fronts apart but leave the other alone so you can use it as a guide to get everything back together. You'd be surprised how many people pull both out thinking they'll save time, and screw the reinstall doing so.

·
Registered
135 Posts
story time:::: i wsa playing basketball in my friends driveway and heard a hellacious noise. turned around to see the guy across the street with his jaw dangling from his face. seems he didnt compress the front strut spring and the top perch shot into his chin. [thumbd]

heres the advice part(obviously) compress the spring properly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts