Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guyz idk if you caught my other thread i had just dropped 1400 on a whole new suspension and and sum brakes. Unfortunatly sum bolts under there are so rusted that there afraid to take off the boltsin the rear and even asked me to sign a waiver because there pretty sure that the heads of the bolts would come off.
They managed to put in all of the kyb shocks and the eibachs in the front and the drop feels, looks, and handles suburb just like i knew eibach would provide. But my butt is hanging high because they cant get these springs on in the back and there a reputable shop, they assured me that any more torque applied to those bolts would snap the heads , now i may be forced to cough up for those bolts to be replaced or have them try to put them rear springs on(forced in). I am really disapointed in the quality of my previous suspension. It seemed like my whole underbody was not even given a coat of the protectent to prevent rust under there. Guyz what in the world should i do ? Should i have them try to put the rear springs in and have ford on speed dial for the replacement parts or just ride with my butt high?

·
Registered
776 Posts
When I had my suspension done it was the same thing. I had to replace both rear control arms. 60 bux a piece.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Well, first off, DO NOT ride with you rear end like that. The drastic difference in suspension mechanics between the front and the rear can mean bad things. Anything from braking to cornering, high or low speed, you run the risk of losing control, flipping or both. I'm suprised the shop even let you leave with it like that.

Anyways, your best bet would be to just go to Ford or Napa/Autozone and pick up relacement bolts anyways, regardless if the originals strip or not. With something as sensitive as suspension, you don't want to cut any corners in doing the job. Besides tires, that's the only thing separating you from the road. You wouldn't want to be driving and one of those bolts comes loose because it wasn't torqued correctly.

Of course, this is just advice. Do as you wish, you've been informed of the risks.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
id just go for it.... you didn't pay for the parts just to have only half of them put on did you???

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bolts that are on now are not coming off and there in there really IN! Get me! But wow it feels real good driving and i hope its just not more then a bolt or two and there is a ford parts store right around the corner but parts over there can be serious. Any other ideas other then just go for it cuz if i do go for it my car may be on a lift for a week or two if there not successful putting on them springs

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
youngkal said:
so can flipping over on a hard corner and being dead

Word.

Get the work done. The bolts aren't that expensive, especially if you get them from auto parts store. If you have some mechanic skills, you could actually do the work yourself in about an hour or two.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well ok ima tell them to do it but they were like telling me like 500 bucks to replace all them rusted bolts and i really wasnt down for that. Get me at first i was like damn this car cuz i really didnt feel they were trying to rip me off but it did cross my mind so come monday ima just bring it in then.

·
Registered
613 Posts
500$ to replace rusted bolts? so I take it they rape you on stupid bolts?
never heard of that ever....500$ for bolts, they better be made of
magicaL SPACE AGE ALLOYS...and yes they were trying to RIP YOU OFF
in a major way....and which bolts are rusted?

oh yeah and cutting a bolt off isn't the hardest activity

and slikirish-why did they have to replace control arms on your' car?
I've never heard of any kinds of problems like this

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
if you live in the midwest the snow will KILL your car.... real damn quick......
not so much the snow as the salt they put down.....

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Chances are the bolts are fused to the inside of the bushings, happened to me. Its such a pain but you should just go ahead and have the old ones cut out. Youll need new lower control arms because they dont sell the bushings separately.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahhhhhhhh........ok yea they said the bolts and the bushing were fused together....so when they take it out.... it would pull the bushing too...so i should buy new control arms anything else before i bring it in to them cuz i dont know what bolts i would need there but the bolt that holds the control arm is needed right?!?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump for Salt in new jersey! Damn salt and snow up here!!!!:(

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,104 Posts
Or you can do what i did. Take the Rear Chamber Bolts out and drop the Springs that way. You WILL NEED AN ALIGNMENT afterwords, but that's how i got mine out. The Control Arm Bolts were completely frozen and wouldn't come out. After a week of the car sitting at the shop, i was talking to a few of my friends who has done drops in snowy climates and they said you can replace the control arm or just take out the Chamber Bolts. I did and my Springs fell out. A whole week worth of waiting for a 10 minute fix. Let me find a pic of what i'm talking about.....

This pic show what bolt i'm talking about. This has the 2 little dashes, one on the bolt and the other on the frame. Simply Take those out and the Springs will fall out. The Control arm will swing out towards the tire. Do a reverse to put back together and then do the other side. You'll be set and enjoying your lowered ride. AFTER YOU GET AN ALIGNMNET!!! of course [thumb]

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,104 Posts
This if you don't know what i'm talkin about:

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thats the bolt that wont come out without snapping the head! So i force it off !Then replace with a new control arm? If so seems simple enough. When i buy new control arm will it come with that bolt and the bushing?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
That's not the bolt your shop is talking about.
It's on the opposite end of the control arm underneath the spring cup.
(you can't see it in the pic)
New control arms will come with bushings, but not bolts.

BTW, it's camber bolt, not chamber bolt, and what's circled is the toe adjustment, not camber adjustment.
(though that does affect camber to a very small degree.

That's actually a pretty good idea to remove those bolts instead, if the outer bolts are frozen on. [;)]
I don't think I've seen anyone come up with that idea yet.

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,104 Posts
That's the Bolt I'm Talking about i guess. That should move so you can an alignment done. Gotta love the Snow and Salt and the Hell it plays on the suspension [?|]

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Yeah, salt. [?|]
I guess the mag-chloride they use around here isn't so bad after all.
I've got 34,000 miles on my ride, and I removed those outer LCA bolts last weekend.
They popped right out no problem.

I do keep the rear suspension pretty clean at the coin-op power-wash all winter though.
That might have helped in preventing corrosion.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts