Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story. My car has been leaking coolant bit by bit over the past week or so. The other night I'm driving home and all the sudden the temp needle starts to climb. I immediatly pull over and turn the car off and let it cool down for about 15-20 mins. I drive up the road to a Wawa (gas station for those of you not in the Mid-Atlantic area) and pop the hood. Sure enough my overflow tank is BONE DRY. I fill it up with about 4-5L of water (enough to make it home) and make it back to my house just fine.

Today I go to do some exploratory surgery hoping that it was just a blown hose. I can't find any hoses that leak, and the water is not quite GUSHING but certainly more than just dripping out of the pass. side of the engine (where the serpentine belt runs). It APPEARS to be coming from about the middle of that side.

I did some searches and it SEEMED like it is likely to be the water pump. Does this sound right? My car is an '04 ZETEC 2.0L DOHC with about 93k miles. Anyone have this done at a shop (i just do NOT have the time or space to try and tackle it on my own right now) and could give me an APPROX. cost to have it done?

Thanks for any/all input!!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That's the water pump, leaking out the weep hole.
Less than 2 hour job, price depends on rate. Pump is like $59, get a Bosch it's metal vs Ford Plastic gear.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation. Dropped the car off yesterday and got it back today. Bad water pump, installed a Bosch one for me. $300 and a day all told, not too bad I must say!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was trying to figure out the same thing( losing coolant). Checked for white smoke out the exhaust, but lucky for me was only at startup( blowing out condensation and water vapor from normal combustion) .

After warmup- no steamy exhaust.

Since I had just replaced all hoses, I was thinking waterpump. Noticed ocassional squeel, but the clincher was when I was peering around the serp belt side of the engine and was sprinkled in the face by a bit of coolant when I revved the engine.

New serp belt and water pump will be in the mail tomorrow.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Althought that pump is platic from Ford, when I pulled mine out at 110k miles it looked just fine and dandy. The fins are very thick when compared to my VW I used to have. I guess metal impeller can't hurt anything!

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
lol is the water pump really plastic?

plastic and high temps do not mix for very long...... then again it sure as hell did save them a lot of money during production.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I guess metal impeller can't hurt anything!
Well, if the bearings go out, they tend to beat the crap out of the housing, and to some people it might sound like the motor is coming apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts