Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to get the JR supercharger for my focus what should I do to my engine to help support it and get the most power out of it? Stage 1 cams? Which brand? 2.5'' exhaust or 3'' exhaust? etc.? Also, will I stay emissions legal? That is, California emissions legal?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
JRSC is smog legal, you'd probably want a 2.5, it doesn't make enough power, or ever will to require the 3.0. Stage 1 crower cams I believe is the choice, could be wrong on that one.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
yup thats about right it, you can do more if you want, internals, head, transmission, but w/the JRSC it wont help much, thats why i was looking into the M62

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
get the big boost pulley, chip, shorty, cat, flex, and 2.5 with some cam gears t/b and an intake... not sure if the tb fits the new mani but im 99% sure

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
on the JRSC the TB goes on the back of the compressor housing, and it should as they sell a 65mm TB

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, well what's the M62? What about a new intake manifold with a 70mm throttle body? Or would that just be better without the supercharger? So upgrading the head, internals, and tranny wouldn't help it out? Or again, would I just be better off doing all that without the supercharger?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
u ccan put a 65mm on a JRSC i've seen it

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
the M62 is the larger bretheran of the M45, M45 is the standard ZETEC JRSC blower, where as the M62 is what they use on the SVT kit, so it would seem somewhat logical to be able to dapt an M62 to an M45 manifold, you can upgrade the internals and boost as well, maybe even run a slight higher compression and nirtrous on a properly built motor, either way its going to be work, you need to decide if you want to go FI or stay NA, as either way youll need specific parts that may not work well w/ the other route, it also possible to build a good NA motor and run small boost, sort of the best of both worlds

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a built motor and a JRSC what would my quarter mile times expect to be? And with jsut a built N/A motor what would I expect it to be?

·
Registered
61 Posts
you cant guess ur quarter mile times, to do that is outta the question..im sayin this because jus cuz u have a faster car, doesnt mean ur quarter mile times will be better, part of it depends on the driver

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
my2k pm a moderator if there is a problem dont post it in threads please.

anyway.... silver as heres the thing that im not too huge of a fan of... the jrsc with the big boost pulley u can squeeze 7 maybe 8 psi out of it, which will be fine on your stock internals. but if your going for forged rods, new pistons even to alter compression, and the tranny build up, you should go turbo... a jrsc on 4.5 psi doesnt add a whole lot of power, and the type of blower it is doesnt reach peak boost till redline... so really what im trying to say is, with a built motor capable of handling a lot more boost, why not go turbo and make more power and make it earlier?? with turbo on a built motor and tranny u can do a lot. look at toms website... www.focus-power.com i understand budget may have something to do with it, but the cost of a JRSC + decent n2o kit is going to be close to the cost of a turbo and not as consistent in power... food for thought...

so look at it like this... built motor and tran, low comp pistons + turbo = low 13s when all is said and done after the work...

or...

built motor, slightly raised compression, jrsc runing 7-8 psi, and the bottle... hard to say really depending on what shot you will run, but due to traction and other things, you probably wont break 13s. honestly, with that i could see you in high 14s w/o the bottle, and mid - high 13s on it depending on the shot. im really not too sure though as ive never seen this route done.

im a consistent kinda guy though, so if it was my 10gs goin into the car id definately be going turbo. hopefully focal tech will stumble onto this with his wise words and experience :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, but the turbo is $5200 and I don't know if I will stay legal. After all, I will be driving this car as my daily driver. Do you think I could get low 14's or high 13's with complete N/A with a new head and stage 2 cams? And maybe a 75 shot? This would also be with all of the bolt-ons etc. to go with the cams, cam gears, and head.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't have an automatic. I have a 5 spd. And it will be my daily driver but I also have a 1991 civic hatch to drive around as well to save on gas money when I go far distances.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
stage 2 cams dont mate well with pnp'd heads. a guy out here had crower 2s on a fr head and had to keep the stock exhaust cam to make any decent low end power... if u get a pnpd head get stage 1 cams. with the head and cams u should be able to hit your goal :) might not even need the bottle, if u do just go with a 50 or 75 shot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts