Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be possible to supercharge and turbo a svt with maxed internals..... ?well I'm pretty sure it is possible wit fab work and a great tuner, but would it be worth and what kind of gan would one expect?

Its just and idea I am just asking for educational/ fun purposes only lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
It's cramped enough with just one under the hood much less two. Even if you did there is no point, there are a few on here putting down 400 plus with single a turbo and i know at least one 500 plus. That's more than our front tires can handle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I forgot ! Ahaha the fwd problem ahahaha but even if you just used it for the low end rpm to wait for the turbo to spool up , prbably no worth he extra $3k but would it make a differance on a track o somethin?

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
yea you can have all the power in the world but once you step on the gas pedal and dont go anywhere then youll realize how much you missed out on the good old control factor

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
ya in jims dyno vid his front tires smoke a bit on the dyno with the clutch slipping and people standing on the rockers trying to keep it down.and thats with just 1 big ass turbo

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a twin charge civic on honda-tech that took the record for fastest fwd lap around a circuit. i think he even beet a few evos. really a proper twin charge set up has a massive powerband

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the twin turbo set up would probably be the best set up, but I was just thinking that the SC would be th low end and the large turbo would work the rest, for a faster track time and hp.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
well there are a few things to consider with that idea. its been mulled over quite a bit. with modern turbo's there isnt really any lag anymore, they spool very very quickly. so the whole idea of a S/C making more power down low to make time for the big turbo to build boost is kind of pointless. a small turbo will make more power at the same low rpm as a S/C and if you have such a large turbo that you are suffering from actual turbo lag then you will be making such a huge amount of power that the amount that the S/C will be making to try and compensate for it at low rpms will be insignificant anyway. so if the idea is to eliminate or reduce low end turbo lag then the only setup that would really do anything would be a twin turbo setup that uses a small quick spooling turbo to spool a much bigger slow spooling turbo.

also another thing to keep in mind is that if you are making a massive amount of power, at some point the innards of the S/C are going to become a restriction. the S/C fins are only going to spin as fast and pull air into the engine as fast as the belt turning the fins can spin. the additional boost being forced into the engine with the turbo is going to want to move faster than the fins can spin even at max rpm and at that point the fins are just getting in the way and become a hindrance. now if you were to come up with a way to completely bypass the supercharger all together once the boost level hit that point then you would be all good but you would probably have to custom make all that yourself. i recall reading about somebody doing that on here years ago when i was still lurking and i think he only made one. so chances of buying that are slim to none and even if you did find it for sale it wouldnt be cheap and if you had someone custom make one for you it would still not be cheap lol.

what im trying to say is it would be very hard to do this and would yield less than desirable results. would it be cool? yes. would i vote for it as the ROTM? yes. would i vote for it as ROTY? yes. would i try to steal your car if i ever saw it? more than likely. strictly for the purpose of making the most power for money, time and effort spent would it be worth it? negative

·
Registered
489 Posts
^^^ You are over thinking it - take a look at the Hellion kits for Mustangs. They are putting twin turbo setups ons factory supercharged cars. The blower works as normal until the turbo's spool and then they just force compressed air through the blower.

Turbonetics Turbos capable of 1600+ hp

Either way it's a moot point - dumping that kind of cash into a FWD econo commuter car is pointless. All it would do is start tire fires...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
another thing is the heating issue. even though the turbo boost is cooled, the supercharger (if we are assuming a roots blower) isn't in a jackson, and the PW can't keep up w/ that much. w/ the larger displacement blowers, tehy have much bigger IC's and can handle more.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
i just read through those threads you linked to. i see that he made it as far as tuning and then didnt really say anything more about it. i also understand that it blew up. didnt see any specific details about why it blew up or how much power it made. i wouldnt expect a whole lot of power since he said it was only going to 13 psi but i bet the power came on pretty quick. i wouldnt mind seeing a printout of the dyno. i betcha that torque curve looked nice.

as far as the cobra TT setup you are showing there goes, the supercharger is still a restriction. take it off and the car will make more power on the top. that kit is like that because in order to run it without the S/C they would have to have a new IM, TB, and whatever other goodies are attached to it. also i bet the power comes on pretty damn good with that S/C at low rpms. probably better than it does at low rpms without it. those are some big turbos. look at it like this. im going to throw some numbers at you. they wont be accurate but you will understand my point. a JRSC on a bone stock engine makes 165whp at 12psi. the same JRSC on a ported head makes 190whp at 10psi. why? there is less boost with the ported head and a ported head alone isnt worth that much power? its because the VOLUME of air going into the engine went up and the boost pressure went down because there is more space in the head for the boosted air to fill. it the same concept with the supercharger/turbo thing. does that make sense or are the pain killers making me un-understandable? [goofydrunk]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts