Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.k. So I am a "new comer" to this site. Not the focus, but the site. I want to put a little more "pep" in my car's step and was wondering what is the safest, most reliable way of doing that. Something good for daily driving, but also something that when I mash it to the floor it will go. I know a lot of people have either a supercharged svt or it's turbo'ed. What is everyone's opinion on this matter? Supercharger or Turbo? By the way [ffrocks]

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,842 Posts
Supercharge the Svt with Powerworks They Guarantee their product and tuning thats the safest bet as to not destroy your beautiful engine :)

·
FF Affiliate
31,100 Posts
LOL powerworks killed more engines with there tuning then turbos have done that I have tuned so to say your safe isnt exactly true

A turbo tuned properly (like any FI needs to be done) will last as long and the engine will be as safe as any SC out there

Tom

·
Registered
717 Posts
I hate to jump on this bandwagon but the PWSC tune had just about smoked a friends SVT motor also. They were waaaaaay lean on the mix.

Like said above any FI with a proper tune will be a good reliable FI.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The supercharger vs turbo is an age old debate. Ant attempt to get a definitive answer will no doubt lead to a can of worms of varying opinions!!!

According to what you said...

"Something good for daily driving, but also something that when I mash it to the floor it will go."...

I would go with the turbo. I'm sure someone will post the pro's and cons of both systems so you can make your own choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a question:

What's better for a daily driver during winter?
Does a turbo and/or a supercharger function properly in cold weather?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think how much power you are looking for plays a roll in the decision, as well as how much you want to spend. As Tom says you need a good tune with anything you do, if not you can have problems either way.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
my turbo is fine in the cold weather here.. its been as cold as 8 degrees this winter and its ran fine.. i do let the engine warm up though

and as always as the temps go down you gotta watch it to make sure you dont over boost

·
Registered
881 Posts
What's better for a daily driver during winter?
depending on the tune, a turbo might deliver a gob of power all of a sudden. It might make winter driving (or getting out of being snowed in) a little trickier. It all depends on how careful you are.

I loved the power linearity and sound of my PWSC. It felt great for the track.

That said, I bet it might be cheaper overall to have Tom and co do up a custom turbo.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
First off NO power adder comes on hard unless YOU want it to.... turbos and SC's BOTH can be driven all day long without making any boost at all.

Winter doesnt mean crap, there are FAR more turbos on the road today than SC's (in general, not in the Focus world) that are driven all day, everyday in every type of weather imaginable (just look at how many semi's are out there).

What it comes down to is how good your tune is... an SC with a bad tune will pop a motor just as fast as a turbo with a bad tune.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
^^for a turbo with close to the same power of a supercharger there shouldnt be a huge rush of power all at once..

and when getting out of snow you dont get into boost anyway i would hope.. dont really think anyone is that stupid.. lol.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I deleted the other thread....

and if this one starts getting out of hand this one will be gone as well.... and infractions will be issued to ALL involved.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
^^^^^^sextuple post!!!!! holy crap!!
i would go with a turbo, since its getting harder to fine a supercharger now for the focus now. there are three sc's that are in production right now, i think
the everlasting jrsc, a kit that will push 10psi max, the safe limit on a stock zetec bottom end.
procharger c1 kit, a decent centrifugal unit. can make gobs of power but its all near the to part of the rpms. so its fine for drag racing or autocross, but the charger hangs really low.(i'm afraid for it on anything rougher tahn a good road)
the vortech unit, another centrifugal, not many focus owners with this one so i ahve no good info other than its shiny, lol.

thats all i can think of.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i would agree with most that a decent turbo kit is the way to go... they tend to have a higher bottom line with respect to price but thats only because the JRSC can be found for so cheap used. But really if you are smart and are willing to compromise on a few things you can build one pretty cheap, and it can still be plenty reliable. I sometimes wish i went that route but i like the simplicity of the JRSC. Though some people think its crap. meh its a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One thing to be careful of with a turbo is cracking/warping the fins due to rapid cooling. Turbo's see a lot of heat from the engine. A turbo timer will make sure that the motor idle's long enough to allow a safe cool down after running hard. Otherwise, make sure that you let the car idle for a minute or two before turning off the engine with a turbo.

This factor might imply that a super charger is better for winter?? Of course I could easily argue how well extremely cold winter air and an inter cooler work together making a turbo more desirable for the cold. It's really just a matter of opinion. It's corny but knowledge is power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts