Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm aware of the principles and how the system would work ideally. Just seems unnecessary and wasteful. Either way its a very interesting idea. Its pretty cool though because the compressor speed wouldn't necessarily depend on engine load or RPM. I'm excited to see the results

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I'm aware of the principles and how the system would work ideally. Just seems unnecessary and wasteful. Either way its a very interesting idea. Its pretty cool though because the compressor speed wouldn't necessarily depend on engine load or RPM. I'm excited to see the results
Well sure the compressor speed would depend on RPM , not as much as with a belt driven SC but it is to a point dependent on RPM

What part is unnecessary and wasteful ?

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
The energy conversion and system operating principle of power steering. In any case energy isn't free. I would assert that the drive system for the pump wouldn't support the steering and still have enough to supply a compressor with enough ooomph to provide the cfm and pressure gradient required. As said, I have not done any analysis to back this up. Just a simple intuitive criticism. I am genuinely excited to see the results though. This will open up so much for the motorsports world if it turns out to be legit. Would you mind sharing some better detail or info? Even dyno numbers would be great

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
There is more then enough to provide PS and PSI and volume for the SC , I have posted what I am allowed to say a few time if you do a search there is also some pictures around , this has been installed on 2 Auto Focus for some years why he does his R&D and it works very well

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Looking at it simply. I've slipped belts with more surface area and dedicated solely to driving the compressor. How would one suspect that both jobs could be done well by such a small pump?

·
Registered
41 Posts
More comes into play than just psi when it comes to fluids and work. Much more than I'm willing to write or explain. I'm not doubting that the residual or excess pressure in the power steering system will turn a wheel. I just don't believe that it will be enough to augment the inlet charge pressure/flow significantly. Seems that the losses would be parasitic and ulitmately would be very near impossible to optimize. Something like the Tyranny of the Rocket scenario comes to mind

·
FF Affiliate
30,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
All I can say again is it works and has been working for some years , My suggestion would be to look into the capabilities of the Focus pump and I would bet you didnt slip the belt on a Ford Focus

Tom

·
Registered
85 Posts
any news on this yet? really interested

·
Registered
85 Posts
if this would be cheaper than a turbo kit, I'd be very likely to buy it

61 - 70 of 70 Posts