Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
MK1.5 ? There was only 3 body styles Mk1 Zetec/Duratec , MK2 Duratec , MK3 Duratec

I agree there is disadvantages and advantages , belt drive SC is dependent on RPM and you have great bottom end and no top or no bottom end and good top range HP

Turbo , Everyone knows I am a Turbo guy but seeing this SC I feel has a place in the Focus world , down side to turbo is the install and boost lag , same as with a SC , Turbos you have quick spool and no top like the ST or lag and comes on hard above 4000

The Hydrocharger can give you the best of both worlds super low rpm instant boost like nothing else I have ever driven and it stays there to redline

As for making it work on the MK3 with no existing pump yes you will have to mount a pump but if all this is prefabbed in a bolt on kit it just wouldnt be that hard to install

The Vortech Focus kit is a 100% nightmare to install and even worse to tune because of the MAF location and the corrugated pipe that came with the kit , I didnt like it

The ProCharger is the easiest to install but you have to pay for the larger SC for any good HP/TQ then make a front mount cooler because the under the car cooler sucked

The JRSC was a fair kit but very lacking in HP/TQ , no parts support , fair to install

The PowerWorks kit in my opinion just sucked from day one , the built in air to water cooler was very undersized , holding tank was undersized which made the IAT go north of 250 deg , SC unit was not big enough and lacked the HP/TQ it could of made and was a pain to install

The Hydrocharger addressed a lot of these issues , it isnt perfect but so far I like it and want to get my hands on one to see what I can make it do safely

Tom

·
Registered
17 Posts
We call the 2005-2007 face-lifted focus the mk1.5 usually. Just a little mid-gen refresh notated by the 1.5. So in their case, they probably mean a mk1 duratec [:)]

Makes sense, then in that case I have the face lifted model (mk1.5).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
We call the 2005-2007 face-lifted focus the mk1.5 usually. Just a little mid-gen refresh notated by the 1.5. So in their case, they probably mean a mk1 duratec [:)]
We do ? First I have seen it , but what ever works

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have a Customer that letting me use his Duratec 5sp Focus but the timing didnt work out for the scheduled time we were going to install it , Were going to do it again in a few months

Tom

·
Registered
41 Posts
looking at this from a mechanical standpoint, I don't see how it will work? I understand the fluid pressure pushing an impeller, similar to a turbo, only changing the working fluid. But much like the electric turbos, there isn't a cooperative relationship between input/output. like a turbo uses exhaust gases and SC uses engine RPM. plus aren't steering systems regulated? say it worked fine, wouldn't the belt just get smoked every time? in any case, augmenting atmosphere just requires a work input. It seems traveling from a pulley, into a working fluid, and then back into an impeller just needlessly complicates it. I'm excited to see this and not close minded to it. just the principles on which its operating seem off. I'd consider an extra dedicated oil pump with a linear pressure system for the working fluid. I am pretty sure though that guy is just spraying nitrous or some camera special effects are going on there.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts