Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
that is very impressive that it knocked 4 seconds off the time too. Was the car stock otherwise?

·
FF Affiliate
30,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Bone stock so we know the Exh is hurting it a good bit , I would say with a little more boost , header , 2.5 to 3 inch Exh you could knock another 1 to 1.5 sec off that

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
That's nuts. This thing is badass.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
can't imagine what this would feel like in a 2.5L with the above mentioned mods. I like choosing the "weird" option for stuff and this fits the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll buy it. This is right up my alley. Probably be the last thing I buy along with the Intake manifold and updated suspension

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
This thing has been "in development" since at least 1999.

From a 2003 article:

I was fascinated, and based on the years of excited letters I received, so were you. Despite its crowd-pleasing appeal, the Hyrdracharger still isn't here. Perhaps for engineering reasons, perhaps political ones, the idea was shelved, and eventually the rights to it reverted to its inventor-an outside contractor-who is continuing to develop it on its own.
If it really is finally coming to market, it seems to be poorly timed to coincide with just about every car dropping hydraulic power steering.

I'd be interested to see how much engine power is absorbed to spin the Hydracharger. Turn the wheel on a car with hydraulic power steering and you'll see a change in RPM - load on the PS pump is variable, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. Well actually, turbos are the free lunch - hot, fast-moving gas is always going to be a result of combustion, so harnessing that is basically free energy. Anything else is sapping power from somewhere else.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Would any of this stuff work on the USA mk3 ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

All of those supercharger kits are for the last gen Duratec. Not saying they wouldn't work but there would be custom fabrication involved as Ford changed the belt setup quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
FF Affiliate
30,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This thing has been "in development" since at least 1999.

From a 2003 article:

If it really is finally coming to market, it seems to be poorly timed to coincide with just about every car dropping hydraulic power steering.

I'd be interested to see how much engine power is absorbed to spin the Hydracharger. Turn the wheel on a car with hydraulic power steering and you'll see a change in RPM - load on the PS pump is variable, and there's no such thing as a free lunch. Well actually, turbos are the free lunch - hot, fast-moving gas is always going to be a result of combustion, so harnessing that is basically free energy. Anything else is sapping power from somewhere else.
Yes he has been working on it for a long time but I in no way feel its a bad time to release the Hydracharger , the PS Pumps that are available that will work are so universal for mounting and so compact that there is hardly an engine that couldn't adapt to the Hydracharger

Getting it to work on a MK3 Focus will prove that

Tom

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes he has been working on it for a long time but I in no way feel its a bad time to release the Hydracharger , the PS Pumps that are available that will work are so universal for mounting and so compact that there is hardly an engine that couldn't adapt to the Hydracharger

Getting it to work on a MK3 Focus will prove that

Tom
So it looks like the advantages of the Hydracharger are mounting flexibility of the turbine and easily adjustable boost on the fly.

There seem to be a lot of disadvantages though. Compared to a belt-driven supercharger, they'd have poor efficiency - converting rotational energy to hydraulic pressure ~90% efficient, pressure loss in the hoses, converting hydraulic pressure back to rotational energy is about 90% again. So now less than 80% of horsepower consumed has been turned into energy available to compress air in the turbine. Compare that to the 98% efficiency of a belt drive and that's a big loss.

If your car has electric power steering, you have to add a power steering pump, which means you need the space to add a device to the serpentine belt drive, which negates most of the advantage to the Hydracharger's flexibility. You've added hoses, a pump, fluid, a reservoir, a cooler, and a whole bunch of potential failure points when a simple belt could do the job instead.

I'm not seeing it.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
Your missing a few other advantages to it as well, Unlike supercharger, it reaches max boost lower in the RPM...way lower. If you watched the videos you can (what i think is the boost guage) see it hits ~10lbs almost instantly and stays there. No boost drop between shifts either, since max boost is achieved through the PSI of pump and not exhaust pressure OR RPM of drive-belt. Your efficiency means nothing when a supercharger is only producing 10lbs of boost at its highest rpm and say 3 lbs at 3k rpm (arbitrary but you get the point) compare that to 10lbs of boost at 3k rpm for the hydracharger and even with 80% efficiency you have a total of +5lbs of boost at the same rpm. This is what makes it exciting.

While I agree that adding it to a car without a hydraulic pump probably negates any beneficial aspect to mounting location/ease, for those that do have hydraulic power steering (see the millions of cars driving around the streets today) I feel tom is right in that there is room for this type of product, while it may not be seen in production cars, it will definitely have a large market to tap into.

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
assuming that you have a duratec, why dont you fit one of these?
Fiesta ST-150 Stg2.5 Supercharger Kit Jam Sport Performance Car Parts

i imagine the pipework could be easily adapted
might work for a mk3 depending on space available. Won't work on a mk1/2 since that mounting location is right where the A/C compressor sits. There really is not that much room left for another drive system on a mk1/2. That and its 4k euro. Might as well go turbo for the price there...This hydracharger still hasn't been priced yet so the $$/hp is still unknown.

·
Registered
17 Posts
might work for a mk3 depending on space available. Won't work on a mk1/2 since that mounting location is right where the A/C compressor sits. There really is not that much room left for another drive system on a mk1/2. That and its 4k euro. Might as well go turbo for the price there...This hydracharger still hasn't been priced yet so the $$/hp is still unknown.

I've got the MK1.5 car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 72 Posts