Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a super charger available for the 2.0 NA? Also stupid question but is the zetec engine the same as the duratec? And if so are the mounting points for the intake manifold the same? I'm asking for myself and a friend. I found pictures of older duratecs with super chargers mounted on the side closer to the bottom of the engine.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
AFAIK nope roush came out with a supercharged mk3 a while back but it never hit shelves although tom over at Focus power makes a grade A turbo for our cars

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Plenty of Zetec ones were avail. but not much for duratecs, actually only heard of ones for other cars with the longitudinal mounted duratec.

Nothing I know of for current duratec.

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
I have been tuning some Duratec Foci for a few years now with a SC and he is close to releasing it I hope and I will be the Focus supplier for it

I havent been able to talk about it a lot and figured others would find these VID from 2 years ago but it didnt happen so here they are

There is no SC in the world like this , I have had the pleasure to be at his shop a few days and got to drive all the SC Duratecs and I was VERY impressed and most the old FF crew knows I dont like SC

The on demand boost is instant , by instant I mean all in by 1500-1800 and is adjustable
I cannot talk a lot about it but hope to have a working prototype in my shop sometime in 2017 for the Zetec , Duratec and MK3

Tom

·
Registered
781 Posts
OMG. Th kit looks quite simple, and an MK3 version too?!
I'd love to save up for this.
130hp to 260hp!!! So our 160hp stock could possibly get to 300hp when paired with existing mods and tunes?!??!
Can't wait to see more.

Sent from the future

·
Lurking...
2,180 Posts
I've seen this and figured it was some special custom made thing never to see the light of day. Wouldn't mind slapping this on my 2.5! I'll be keeping a close eye on this for the future. I know its a ways off and maybe not answerable at the time, BUT will this end up being cheaper than the FSWerks turbo kit? If so I can see it generating quite the stir. The install looks painfully easy!

Tom you keep coming to the table with new ideas, and regardless of what anyone says about them, I'm glad you continue to support the focus community with your tuning and mechanical prowess. Keep it up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow. [80?] That's badass.

Sorry for the ignorant question, Tom, but I presume you don't like SC's because of the parasitic losses involved compared to TC's?

I imagine having that boost come on so early would be a whole lotta fun, but would it possibly cause some issues with engine wear/cold starts on a high-strung mill like a Ti-VCT?

Either way, I'm paying rapt attention here... [like]

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Parasitic losses aren't the worry with an S/C setup, they exist but aren't the usual concern.

Instead it's the lack of intercooling on most types that limits results possible, feeding it more & hotter air as boost increases limits the capabilities. Race types you see have ways around that, but we aren't running a fuelie on the street.

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
For me the loss of pure TQ is a big factor why I dont like SC , This SC has very little because the PS pump that drives the SC is already under psi and requires very little loss to make more psi
I dont like SC because they have no way to raise the boost easily , this SC boost can be changed on the fly or almost as easy as a turbo

And like Sailor said , heat , most create a LOT of heat , the ProCharger and Vortech have intercoolers but both the roots style ( jrsc and power works ) dont have any that are worth installing

All the SC that have ever been out for the Focus engine are/were undersized and no real way at all to change that , the HydroCharger uses half a Turbo to make boost and is ideal in ever way , I feel he is going to revolutionize SC`ing and I am grateful to of been a small part of it

Tom

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
TANSTAAFL still holds I'm afraid, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Hydraulic drive linkage has it's advantages, but it isn't free power. For the MkIII it's an added item, since there isn't one stock. For other models it takes power & reduces fluid avail. for steering. Normally not an issue but if you've ever run out of P/S while sawing the wheel at an Auto-X you know how disconcerting that can be.

Larger pump may be needed, particularly for use beyond straight line.

Like the idea, plenty of packaging advantages alone and the adjustability Tom mentions would be quite handy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aha, I understand, got it now! Thank you both for your replies.

As an aside, I imagine that if you run the S/C off of P/S hydraulic pressure, you're not really sacrificing anything in terms of power when pointing the car in a straight line!

[race]

Hydraulic drive linkage has it's advantages, but it isn't free power. For the MkIII it's an added item, since there isn't one stock. For other models it takes power & reduces fluid avail. for steering. Normally not an issue but if you've ever run out of P/S while sawing the wheel at an Auto-X you know how disconcerting that can be.

Like the idea, plenty of packaging advantages alone and the adjustability Tom mentions would be quite handy.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Correct to a point, not sacrificing as much but there's still an added load. There's a bit of free lunch available there, not a large addition to the normal static load for lower boost levels.

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts

Hydraulic drive linkage has it's advantages, but it isn't free power. For the MkIII it's an added item, since there isn't one stock. For other models it takes power & reduces fluid avail. for steering. .
Yep...don't forget you have to convert rotational energy to fluid then convert again to rotational.

VS a turbo which is using waste product (exhaust) as energy to compress air.

Turbo will always win in terms of efficiency. PERIOD!

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts

Larger pump wont be needed till way after what the stock engine can handle

There would be no reduction in PS Fluid when adding this , just install then fill the PS Res and your good to go regardless how much you run straight or Track

Yes would be an added item for the MK3 , Add pump , Resavor but the head where the PS Pump goes 2004-2011 3 of the bosses are there and can move the idler to the back like earlier years or move the PS pump to the back on the block there is 2 bosses that would more then support a PS Pump , Wouldnt be that hard for me to fab up and get to work

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,370 Posts
Turbo will always win in terms of efficiency. PERIOD!
100% agree , I would go Turbo first , If I had to choose a SC it would hands down be the hydracharger

Tom

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Focus Preacher
3,408 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Probably not enough money in the Focus world for Roush.
I'm sure they saw Whipple struggling with the Rangers.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts