Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between supercharging and turbocharing? what do they both mean? how do they differ? thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger is in the way they work. Both do the same thing, more or less, which is force way more air into the engine than it could get without it. There are a couple varieties of superchargers, but the basic principle is the compressor is driven by a belt off of the motor, just like any other accessory. A turbocharger has a second section that is a tubine driven by exhaust gases. The gases go into the turbine, spin the little wheel really fast, which spins the compressor wheel, which forces air into the motor. Pretty much.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you want pure speed from start to go, get the turbo.

If you just want a little balls in the higher end, get the supercharger.

Dont get an aerocharger or a 3000 dollar turbo, its a pos. If you get a super charger look at 2500+, turbo that wont completely bomb out on you and blow your engine, 5k+.

Look around for turbo tom, its the best turbo for our car.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
03BlueReiger said:
If you want pure speed from start to go, get the turbo.

If you just want a little balls in the higher end, get the supercharger.

Dont get an aerocharger or a 3000 dollar turbo, its a pos. If you get a super charger look at 2500+, turbo that wont completely bomb out on you and blow your engine, 5k+.

Look around for turbo tom, its the best turbo for our car.
False.
supercharger = more power at all rpms
turbocharger = more power at high rpms

·
Registered
236 Posts
turbo needs time to spool up, the supercharger is instant power to the wheels. I like the superchargers my self.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well i havent seen any "supercharged" 10 seconds focus's. Only high 14 second supercharged focus's.

IMO, if you only have 2 or 3k get the supercharger. But if you have the 5grand, or can save up, get the turbo. Ride in a supercharged Focus then ride in a turbo focus. The supercharger will throw you intothe seat, the turbo will make you feel like your going thru it.

Turbo = More speed.

"supercharger = more power at all rpms
turbocharger = more power at high rpms"

Um, yeah thats true, however. Look at it this way.

On a stock car the Jackson racing supercharge makes the focus what 175hp? That will get you high 14's low 15's perhaps?

Toms turbo on a stock car gives it what 230hp? High 13's/low 14's?

Supercharger doesnt need to spool like a turbo, but if you race a turbo focus with the same mods, youll hang with him till you hit 3rd gear, then hes gonna smoke you like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
236 Posts
but what if you have an automatic tranny, other than getting rid of it!!!! Which one would be the best set up.

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
QUOTE,,turbo needs time to spool up,

This all depends on what turbo you have ,As soon as i can see a good dyno from a vortech i will show both i guarantee you there will NOT be much Diff between my turbo and the vortech in the bottom or mid range

Tom

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree with tom. If you get a cheap ass turbo system, ill will take time to spool and a good super will hang with it till the upper. Superchargers also dont put out as much hp as any turbo.

Laidman, turbotom, the poster above me is switching his car to Automatic i think. Might ask him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
SUPERCHARGER OR TURBO.....

later in january i will be purchaseing a jrsc and all you have to do is get a slightly smaller pulley from eaton, (the manufacture of the jrsc) and mess with fuel management and you can pull some SERIOUS numbers from a supercharger, If you have an ATX I reccomend the supercharger because its instant power and your trans can't take the surges that plauge most turbo (aftermarket) setups. and also turbos require MUCH more time to install than ANY supercharger. Well thats my 2 Cents worth

[thumb]

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lol. Well, either way, no matter what you do to your supercharger, when i have toms turbo my car will smoke you 3 days from sunday.

Any Decent turbo will smoke any supercharger.

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
You will NEVER pull any serious numbers out of the jrsc at best 210 HP and only 160 TQ and to me that sucks

My turbo kit spools so fast that i would say with the same boost the turbo will kick you butt in 1,2,3 gear only

Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
lol !! well while your car may smoke me what good will your car do in the shop ??
turbos require much more maintenance then a supercharger does, for trouble free everyday drivers, you might want to think about a supercharger, if you take your car to the track and race and want a good chance at winning then get a turbo. both turbo and superchargers
have pros and cons Just a Matter of OPINION ! [driving]

·
Registered
236 Posts
If your into racing, then a turbo might be in order, but as for me, a supercharged looks to be right up my alley, I'm in it just for the speed and acceleration, thats what gets me!! You might smoke me with your turbo, well thats if I would ever race you[cheers]

·
Registered
232 Posts
=D

Right now the focus is a daily driver. However.

Im actively in the market for either an SRT4 or an EVO VIII. Once i get one of those, they will be my daily driver and the focus will just sit in the garage and be a track/show toy. Thats the reason i havent called tom up and sent him the money yet.

Daily driving, your prolly right i "MIGHT" go with the supercharger, but im an *******, so i prolly wouldnt, and just keep up the maintenance since i like working/learning about my car.

·
FF Affiliate
30,887 Posts
In the shop ? Turbos need more Maintenance ? Who told you all this it TOTALY is not true ,If it is tuned correctly it will out run and live as long as a blower will or a NA car for that matter

Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
don't get me wrong..... I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A TURBO !!! but for reliability and without much modding you can put a supercharger on the focus. also, if you want a decient size intercooler, you need to get a front clip (aftermarket) to evan make it possible to not knock.
I'm not picking a fight and I'm not here to debate, I AM STATING Facts !!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
1turbofocus said:
In the shop ? Turbos need more Maintenance ? Who told you all this it TOTALY is not true ,If it is tuned correctly it will out run and live as long as a blower will or a NA car for that matter

Tom
your opinion is BIAS, I have neither a supercharger or turbo on my car and YOU do....
so maybe you just don't want to knock the turbo setup because you have one. ???

1 - 20 of 33 Posts