Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock sunroof on my SVT Focus is leaking badly. water is getting in between the frame and the glass and it needs to be re- glued. I did a search and all I could find were lunatics who wanted to cut a hole in a perfectly good hard top and make it leak with some cheap aftermarket sunroof.
I am thinking of using some Thick Cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) Pacer Technology (Zap) Zap-A-Gap Adhesives, 2 oz or Gorilla Super Glue Gel, 20 Gram, Clear

Or should I use regular glass glue: Dow U-428 Plus Auto Glass Windshield Urethane Primer Less

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 173k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 194k miles
4,027 Posts
Replacement is pretty straightforward. Remove the sunroof glass. Remove the seal. Leave new seal in sun until it regains its shape. Clean glass to remove any old adhesive. Add a small amount of adhesive to glass, install new seal and let dry for 24 hours. Install. Enjoy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not to go off topic, but just this week I saw a Mk3 hatch and the idiot sprayed Great Stuff all around the sunroof, trying to stop leaks and seal it shut I guess. Don't do that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not to go off topic, but just this week I saw a Mk3 hatch and the idiot sprayed Great Stuff all around the sunroof, trying to stop leaks and seal it shut I guess. Don't do that.
I had a jetta with a sun roof. It had tracks in the headliner to drain off water out of the car that came in through the top. Does the focus have something like that? If it does then maybe the drains being blocked should be something to look into. That was the issue with my jetta at least.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
2,036 Posts
None of you seem to be understanding the issue he's having. The sunroof is a bonded assembly on his car. The glass is supposed to be permanently adhered to the frame. The frame then sits in the opening and seals to it with the weatherstripping.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Use the Dow specific adhesive or another glass specific adhesive and be very neat when applying it. It will spread out when the glass is put in place so make sure you don't apply to much. A super skinny bead is all that is likely necessary. Also, make sure that you have a proper solvent and quality paper towels or a bunch of rags that will clean up any excess adhesive.
Regular super glue will NOT hold up under such wet and hot conditions that a sunroof experiences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it looks like it was some sort of super glue or epoxy, not black urethane that held the glass to the frame. I would like to use the black urethane but I fear I may not get it thin enough to not have the glass catch wind and make noise. Any newer sunroofs fit? Mk2 or Mk3 glass? it would be nice to get one less UV and weather worn.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Whatever it was, it was NOT super glue. If it looks like it was a thinner based material then perhaps call 3M, Dow, or maybe your best option is Henkel(Loctite). Henkel makes LOTS of specialty adhesives for specific applications. You need a glass to metal bonding adhesive that will be hold up to water and heat(at least 120° in the sun).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I might hit up the junk yard and try to find one from 2011
there should be quite a few of those? was that one of the first ones with dual clutch transmissions?

2011 Ford FocusS, SE, SEL, SES2.0L L4 - Gas
2010 Ford FocusS, SE, SEL, SES2.0L L4 - Gas
2009 Ford FocusS, SE, SEL, SES2.0L L4 - Gas
2008 Ford FocusS, SE, SES2.0L L4 - Gas
2007 Ford FocusS, SE, SES, ST2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas
2006 Ford FocusZX3, ZX4, ZX4 ST, ZX5, ZXW2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas
2005 Ford FocusZX3, ZX4, ZX4 ST, ZX5, ZXW2.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas
2004 Ford FocusLX, SE, SVT, ZTS, ZTW, ZX3, ZX52.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas
2003 Ford FocusLX, SE, SVT, ZTS, ZTW, ZX52.0L L4 - Gas, 2.3L L4 - Gas
2002 Ford FocusLX, SE, ZTS, ZTW, ZX52.0L L4 - Gas

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Another used one that's still bonded is a good option if you can find one. Factory sunroofs were/are an expensive option so Idk how many Focuses would have been equipped with them. Maybe 10%.
I would imagine that if you took your sunroof to an auto glass shop that they would be able to bond it back properly since they should have the correct adhesive. I'd go to a smaller glass shop and not the national ones like Safelite as they might not even want to touch it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My stock sunroof on my SVT Focus is leaking badly. water is getting in between the frame and the glass and it needs to be re- glued. I did a search and all I could find were lunatics who wanted to cut a hole in a perfectly good hard top and make it leak with some cheap aftermarket sunroof.
I am thinking of using some Thick Cyanoacrylate glue (superglue) Pacer Technology (Zap) Zap-A-Gap Adhesives, 2 oz or Gorilla Super Glue Gel, 20 Gram, Clear

Or should I use regular glass glue: Dow U-428 Plus Auto Glass Windshield Urethane Primer Less
View attachment 311067 View attachment 311068 View attachment 311069

You should call an adhesive company and consult them. The are other 2 part adhesives other that epoxy that may perform better. You'll have to buy a mixing gun for most of them.

The adhesives you find at the store contain lots of preservatives that extend the shelf life and don't perform as well versus a commercial adhesive. Super thick Cyanoacrylate is very expensive but will do the job. But you may not have the time to set your pieces together in time if you have to go all the way around the sunroof. You'll need something with a longer set time. I estimate the set the time on super thick to be 4 minutes.

Super thick is for porous materials like plastic to ceramic. I would have to call my adhesive friend and ask him what he has. I was considering selling adhesives online this year.

Apollo 2999, Cyanoacrylate Gel Adhesive, Ideal for Bonding Porous Materials, (Cases of 20), Gel Appearance, 20g Bottle, General Purpose, Apollo | Curbell Plastics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts