Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 02 focus SVT with the sole purpose or turning it into a dedicated track car. That said I am keeping it street legal because I don't have a tow vehicle and need to drive it to track events.

I am stripping the entire enterior with the exception of the dash and door panels. The car I bought happens to have a sunroof. Function and weight I don't need.

Any suggestions on how to go about a sunroof delete and what to fill the hole in the roof with after I pull out the headliner and all sunroof mechanisms?

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
maybe you could just use the glass and permently fit it in place and remove all the hardware for the sunroof, might be a little easier to do than filling in the big hole.

just an idea, idk if anything like that could be done

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I looked into getting one of those, but they don;t have any. Only chance you would have is to get one custom made, if you end up doing that, PM me I would be VERY interested in one.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
brian, aka schroeder02 just did an aluminiumn sunroof delete

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I just pulled mine out this past weekend. I went with an aluminum plate to cover the opening, the plate I sued was a little on the thick side 1/8”. I decided to go with the thicker material for two reasons, my friend used sheet metal you can get at any local hardware store but it flaps around and makes a tone of noise. The second reason is I wanted to counter sink all of the screws so I had a relatively smooth look to it.

I first made a full size template using a CAD program at work, I was able to lay out the radius of the corners and location for all my holes. If I was doing it again I would make it a little different, now that that sunroof is out I can see spot that I would have rather drilled though. Once I had my template I then transferred it to my sheet of aluminum, I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to cut the aluminum. To get a nice straight cut I set up a guide for the jigsaw. The corners I cut free hand. Again I used my template and a punch to mark the centers for my hole then drilled and counter sunk all the holes. It wasn’t all that hard to make it just took time.

The fun part we took out the sunroof and again used my template the try and march the center line of the car, we missed by about a ¼” but it’s pretty hard the tell. We started by drilling one hole in the center and putting a screw in, then we worked out the edges skipping a few holes each time. Once we had all four sides snuged down I then went back and drilled the remaining holes. Then I removed the panel and cleaned all the holes up both on the car and the panel and put some paint in each hole. We used clear silicone sealant to try and make a seal. then we inserted all the screws and tightened it all down. Two things I found when doing the final fit one I don’t think we worked fast enough and the silicone started to set, and second we should have put sealant on the bottom side of the screw. I did get a few leaks around the screws but I pulled the one I had a problem with back out and added some silicone, hopefully that will solve the problem.

I’ll see if I can get some Photos up in the next few days.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You guys just covered nearly every idea I had. Trying to permanantly affix the glass piece and just remove all hardware is an interesting and obviously cheapest solution. I think I might look into replacing the glass with lexan for weight but I will take a looke at the framework used to affix the glass for that solution.

Carbon Fiber was another idea, and in my opinon defnitely the coolest solution. I was curious if there was a commercially available one. I will look into a custom one but am concerned about cost. A company we work closely with has recommend a custom cf guy they have worked with. I will find out how much it costs and let you know jgustafson. Maybe we can both catch a break if he's making two.

Schoeder02 I appreciate your continued interest and support in my build especially considering i plan on following a very similar path as yours. Would you be kind enough to hold onto that template you created for me? If storing it is a problem for you I can certainly come grab it from you. I'd love to see your car anyway.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
not a problem I have it on my computer and can print a new one out any time

Also for materials the best place I found is McMaster Carr

I didn’t weigh mine yet but if I had to guess the entire sunroof is only about 25lbs my method for deleting it was about 8 with all the hardware.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Find another Focus without the sunroof option. Cut the roof panel out of the donor car making sure the panel is at least 1"-2" larger than your sunroof opening. Using a little sealant and some steel oversize head rivets just trim to size and rivet in place. With this method, the panel will have the correct roof contour vs. using flat CF, aluminum or steel which may leave gaps.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
With the CAD program as stated above, with some corrections, a custom CF panel would fit well, your solution is good but the execution will look haphazard.

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^ I have no doubt that a CAD designed CF panel would fit and look nice as well. However when I think of a track car, I consider safety above looks any day. The solution I mentioned follows the GCR standards as set by the SCCA. Not trying to get in to a pissing match here, just stating a proven, safe solution.

Per the SCCA GCR:
9.3.17. DETACHABLE PANELS/SUNROOFS
Detachable hardtops, detachable panels, and detachable doors (e.g., Lotus 7) shall be removed, unless authorized in the Category Rules or Specification Book for that car to remain in place. All glass panels in the roof must be removed. Movable or removable metal or composite panels in the roof may be either removed or positively secured in the closed position.
Any openings in the roof resulting from the removal of a panel must be covered with panels of stock contour made of the same material as the stock surrounding roof structure.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I see, so then the only solution is make the whole roof out of CF, and call it stock lol.

I really don't plan on tracking MY car as much, but the OP's intentions are different so I'm not so sure anymore. I would still like a CF panel for myself though : )

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Dhardison is right his solution would have the best fit. Mine had some small gaps if you look really close and I dented the roof line where the corners pulled down. For me I don’t really care that much it’s a track car and not a beauty quean. I also smithies with dcspeed when building a track car coast and effort are a major factor. My delete was about 100 to 120 for materials and some tools.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
At this time I am very much a track newbie, about 4 events under my belt. Just enough to realize how far I have to go. At this time my sole intention is to run HPDE. I am however weighing my decisions and mods against future eligibility should I get good enough to start racing the car. So dhardson, thank you very much for your input, gives me more to consider.

Waffles thanks for the input cf sheets as well. Back in my car stereo days I always wanted to get involved in custom fiberglass enclosures and just never got into it. I'll have to do some research on working with cf.

Schroeder02 I'm with you. I bought this car to be a dedicated track car, function first and foremost. I'm willing to put money into it but I'm looking to be reasonable about that amount.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Behold the destruction

This is the one thing I would have changed in the design, I would have used a larger radius to tray and keep all the screws in the channel. I think doing that would also improve the fit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts