Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the issues I can find on sunroof leaks have to do with potential blocked drains or poor seals. Mine has none of those. It's actually in great shape. But lately we've had some torrential rains, and the drains can't keep up with the volume of water, and the channels are overflowing into my head liner. Is there anything I can do about this short of putting a tarp over the car when there are heavy rains?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
You sure the water flows thru all the A & C pillar drains? & are not plugged or semi plugged w/ leaves & other debris?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure. I took a bottle of water and poured it slowly into the drains, and the water ran out from under the car as expected.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
You'll see the drain hoses inside the A-pillars, little more work for the C-pillars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the antenna base. Mine looked perfect on top, but the plastic "seal" underneath was deteriorated. Also, as the seals age, you could be getting leaks along the glass, inside of the drain channels. Or even the windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh, if you do drop the headliner...
The cables that move the assembly tend to wear out the guides over time. Mine were so deteriorated the cables broke through them. Serious leakage. I pulled the motor and cables and sealed the top. Couldnt remember last time I actually wanted sunroof open anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So I confirmed that the drain on passenger A pillar is clogged. So I pulled the head liner only to discover that the drain lines are INSIDE the pillars. I can't even see them, even with the liner removed. I pulled the trim off beneath the glove compartment hoping I would be able to see where the tube exited towards the weld under the car, but duh...it's inside the frame down there too. I threaded some weed trimmer line down the drain quite a ways until it stopped (presumably where the tube exits in the weld), but couldn't feel any blockage. Must be just outside the tube. Any ideas where I go from here?

What about some sort of solvent that won't harm rubber but might eventually dissolve whatever is in there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts