Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum gave me great references for winter tires...thank you! Now I'm asking for an alternate to the 18" Pilot 3. Great Tire, way to much $$$ for very poor tread life. What are you guys all running for a straight summer tire that's not going to require a mortgage, and not burn out after 25'000 Kilometers

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
The summer-only tire I was debating was the Continental ExtremeContact DW.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any "summer tires" in 235/40R18 that had a reasonable (to me) tread warranty/rating, if any. As a result, I just bought all-seasons (Kumho Ecsta PA31).

I know that all-seasons aren't going to be the best in summer or winter, but I drive 100 miles a day of almost all highway, so I can handle my tires slipping the first few stops (uphill, from a stop) before they warm up. They're no PS3s, but I haven't had any issues with traction while turning quickly or braking, etc.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Well the main point of 'Summer Tires' is traction. And that is hand in hand with poor wear features.
If you want a long lasting tire then (compared to soft tires) the tires are not going to be very 'sticky' or hold the road like a high traction/fast wear tire.

The two ideas are pretty much mutually exclusive.

So it all depends on how you drive?
Like to drive fast. take corners fast.. buying a 60,000mile tire is foolish, cuz you will not live that long using those hard tires with all your racing around......

On the other hand always obey the speed limits and drive like a grandma, then buying the ultra high performance Summer tire is the other side of foolish. You will never ever use the tire, just waste it, for it's entire 20,000 lifespan. And grumble about tire life.

If you are uncertain, call Tire Rack and talk to them.

I tend to go with performance over longevity. When i want to go fast, and turn fast, i want to be safe. Way more than i want tires which will outlast me. So I just live with the fact my tires will be worn out sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've run the Cooper Zeon's that the car came with for two Ontario mild seasons now. The wear so far is minimal, but as an all-season tire (puke) they don't grip well under load and I've had a few 'well shit I hope this goes well' slidey moments. For economy's sake I'll probably run them one more season then ditch for something grippier. I'm working on mastering my fuel economy so I've reigned in my urges to reach their limits.

·
Registered
620 Posts

·
3rd Time's the Charm
1,943 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts