Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this website... I just bought my 2000 ZX3. im in the market for a CAI and an exhaust. I have heard many different opinions on what the best CAI is.. i need some suggestions. the best one for the best price. and i live in a part of ohio where we have E-check... my buddies neighbor said he would make me an exhaust.... i want some suggestions on what sounds the best. i have done some shopping around but just want some others suggestions besides whats in my head.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with the volant do i have to worry about vapor lock? i was reading on here and someone posted that the SVT intake is the best to get... but would it fit my 2000 Zetec?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
would it be better to buy a catback system or buy a muffler and have my friends neighbor bend one?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
The svt intake will fit your car. Use your stock intake tube that goes from throttlebody to maf and stock maf tube. Replace your air box and snorkle with svt components. Use a k&n filter.

Borla is THE BEST performer for aftermarket bolt on exhaust on a n/a engine. However it is very loud and very expensive. The next best bet is to get a local muffler shop to custom make your exhaust. Get 2.5 in or 3in or don't even bother with it. If you get custom then I highly suggest the use of dynomax 3 chamber muffler. They cost about 50 bucks at advanced or autozone. They sound and flow great. It's what I'm currently using. Either way you need to up the exhaust piping, including the flex pipe, to at least 2.5 in from the cat back. Borla won't replace the flex pipe BTW.

Edit: oh and the volant intake is as close as any aftermarket intake can come to the svt intake. No risk of hydro lock and it functions like a Cai if you use the ram air portion of the intake. Without it tho it is just like any other short ram. Garbage.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Trubendz makes a very high quality cat back exhaust in SS and aluminized.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does the sound of the dynomax 3 chamber compare to the sound of a Borla? im looking for something that is pretty loud.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
these are sound clips from my car.

this is 2.25in flex back exhaust with 2 cherry bomb glass packs. i got it made before doing any research and ran it for years. it sounded like trash and left alot of power on the table since i did not open it up enough.

this is my 2.5 inch flex back exhaust. it has 1 thrush resonator to keep the noise level down and then the dynomax 3 chamber. huge improvement IMO. picked up a significant amount of power and my ears dont bleed anymore.

de-cat the exhaust and or dont run a resonator and it will be significantly louder. and dont pay any mind to that weird buzzing noise in the second video. i dont know why but the camera i used did NOT like the frequency of the idle and made it sound like that for some reason. it does NOT sound like that at idle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks man. I appreciate the suggestions on the exhaust. I have to keep the cat... Echeck... But I don't think I going to run a resonator. About the svt intake that will fit my car... Any suggestions where to find one and which one (year svt) to get.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
Any year svt will work. 2002-2004. Look on the bst here on FF to find a intake. They get sold here all the time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went to an exhaust shop and they told me that flowmaster, magnaflow, and borla mufflers wont give my car the back pressure it needs. and ill be setting off my engine light. if i up my piping to 2.5 will that also cause decrease in back pressure? he also said that a can muffler will be the best to put on to keep the back pressure up.. is he right?

·
Registered
920 Posts
He is a moron. Never return to that shop.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
So the fact that the zetec engine makes the most power clear across the board on a dyno with the svt header (the best flowing header available) when running OPEN HEADER, that is NO EXHAUST AT ALL, would obviously suggest that a bigger diameter exhaust will hurt the car. Idiot...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to another garage today and he also said if i up the piping i will set off my engine light. if i got the SVT header there would be no problems at all?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts