Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Did you try another dealer? Mine was about $1400 including the diagnostic fee. If it lasts you another 5 years, that's less than the cost of one monthly car payment per year...
I agree. Time for a new dealer and possibly Ford Corporate. I'm also curious about the results of the clutch slip test when they did their diagnostics. You don't have to be throwing a code to qualify for the 14M01. If the clutch slip exceeds the threshold, you qualify on that basis.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Did you try another dealer? Mine was about $1400 including the diagnostic fee. If it lasts you another 5 years, that's less than the cost of one monthly car payment per year...

I haven’t tried another dealer because it’s really exhausting trying to balance work & dropping a car off at a dealer for repairs or a diagnostic. Just the thought of giving Ford $1400-2200 for their faulty design makes me sick. As far as payments goes, I’ve never done that. I’m not a fan of car payments so I paid cash for this car. Sure, I could buy an ‘18 ST with under 10k miles, but that will cost me at least 10-12k out-of-pocket since my car will have little trade value. I’ll likely just keep it & see how it holds up long-term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
802 Posts
But why did they say it wasn't covered under the 14M01 extended warranty (100k miles, 7 years)? Was your's built prior to June 6, 2013?

See this.

The build date on my door says 06/13. So I don’t know why. I’m just going by what I was told by their service tech. Honestly, I’d really just like to buy an ST, but the out-of-pocket expensive + a trade in is what stops me. I really hate wasting money on cars, but at the same time the constant shudder & sputter gets old.

·
Registered
802 Posts
For intense, let’s say a 2018 ST1 is 19k. Okay, well that’s 21k in change OTD.

So what’s a 2013 Titanium Hatchback worth worth 39k Miles on trade? Not much, what like 8k?

So 13-14k out of pocket for an ST? That’s a hard sell for me, so I’m stuck with this car. Had I done it right, I would’ve just bought an ST in ‘14.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post to this forum but I have been reading for quite some time and have found the information provided in this forum to be immensely useful. I just want to say thank you to everyone for being such an active community and for sharing experiences with the focus that have helped me on numerous occasions when working on my own vehicle.

So, I will try to keep this brief but also want to provide as much information as possible while also keeping that information relevant to the issue at hand.

I have run into an issue with my local Ford dealer that began after I took my wife's 2012 focus SE to them for the evap system recall in early April of this year. While it was in the service department for the recall I described the issues we had long been experiencing with the transmission including shaking upon initial acceleration, stalling and oftentimes a no start condition that would occur randomly but frequently. So this car is quite the hassle because we are never sure when it is going to work or when it is going to stall out, die and not start again. So after describing this to the service adviser he took it back and said we would have to pay a $160 diagnostic fee for them to check it out, which we gladly did because we want to have the problem solved, since my wife is an emergency medicine resident and needs her car to get to work.

We leave the car with them for a couple of days and then get the call saying the recall work was complete and we should come pick up the vehicle. I drive us up there, in my ford ranger (love that truck), and when we meet with the service adviser he says that the car is in need of a new clutch, which he said would be covered under Ford's extended warranty program for the DCT, but that they are on back-order and it will take about a month for them to get the part. He gives me his personal cell phone number so I can keep in touch and says he will call in about 3-4 weeks for us to bring the car in to have the clutch serviced. I say thank you and we go on our way waiting to hear back from them about the repair. A month goes by and we hear nothing but I figure maybe the part was severely on back order so I give it another week before I try calling him to ask when we should expect to be able to bring the car in. Upon calling i get his voicemail, leave my number and reference our earlier conversation and ask him to call me back. I do this several times with both his cell phone and through the phone system of the dealer itself, leaving messages and asking to be called back without hearing anything from the service adviser. I have never had this happen to be before in my entire life owning a vehicle. I absolutely cannot get this guy to call me back. I have already paid their diagnostic fee and they have identified the problem so I am reticent to take it to another dealer and pay another $160 diagnostic fee to have the same thing happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do in this situation? I really could use any advice from anyone that may have encountered a similar situation or has inside knowledge of how the ford service department works.

Just to provide a little more detail on the situation. This is a single owner vehicle, which we purchased from this very same dealer back in 2012 and I also purchased my 2009 ford ranger from them as well. So we have a long history with this place and I have no idea why all of a sudden this service adviser has not been returning my calls. The focus has approximately 77,000 miles on it and I do all of the non-major maintenance on it myself including religiously changing the oil, rotating tires and all other regular forms of maintenance to keep the car in good condition.

I am just stymied with what to do in this situation and any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Call Ford's customer service center and be prepared, as you are, to detail the problems. I had a 2012 Focus with frequent tranny problems and the dealer was super. A loaner for each repair and no smoke and mirrors. Ford knew they had a problem and between the dealer and Ford I was satisfied enough with their efforts to buy a new 2017. Sold it and bought a 2018. BTW, I'm a retired Chrysler dealer but when had occasion to drive a Focus in 2011 I was sold on it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi All,

This is my first post to this forum but I have been reading for quite some time and have found the information provided in this forum to be immensely useful. I just want to say thank you to everyone for being such an active community and for sharing experiences with the focus that have helped me on numerous occasions when working on my own vehicle.

So, I will try to keep this brief but also want to provide as much information as possible while also keeping that information relevant to the issue at hand.

I have run into an issue with my local Ford dealer that began after I took my wife's 2012 focus SE to them for the evap system recall in early April of this year. While it was in the service department for the recall I described the issues we had long been experiencing with the transmission including shaking upon initial acceleration, stalling and oftentimes a no start condition that would occur randomly but frequently. So this car is quite the hassle because we are never sure when it is going to work or when it is going to stall out, die and not start again. So after describing this to the service adviser he took it back and said we would have to pay a $160 diagnostic fee for them to check it out, which we gladly did because we want to have the problem solved, since my wife is an emergency medicine resident and needs her car to get to work.

We leave the car with them for a couple of days and then get the call saying the recall work was complete and we should come pick up the vehicle. I drive us up there, in my ford ranger (love that truck), and when we meet with the service adviser he says that the car is in need of a new clutch, which he said would be covered under Ford's extended warranty program for the DCT, but that they are on back-order and it will take about a month for them to get the part. He gives me his personal cell phone number so I can keep in touch and says he will call in about 3-4 weeks for us to bring the car in to have the clutch serviced. I say thank you and we go on our way waiting to hear back from them about the repair. A month goes by and we hear nothing but I figure maybe the part was severely on back order so I give it another week before I try calling him to ask when we should expect to be able to bring the car in. Upon calling i get his voicemail, leave my number and reference our earlier conversation and ask him to call me back. I do this several times with both his cell phone and through the phone system of the dealer itself, leaving messages and asking to be called back without hearing anything from the service adviser. I have never had this happen to be before in my entire life owning a vehicle. I absolutely cannot get this guy to call me back. I have already paid their diagnostic fee and they have identified the problem so I am reticent to take it to another dealer and pay another $160 diagnostic fee to have the same thing happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do in this situation? I really could use any advice from anyone that may have encountered a similar situation or has inside knowledge of how the ford service department works.

Just to provide a little more detail on the situation. This is a single owner vehicle, which we purchased from this very same dealer back in 2012 and I also purchased my 2009 ford ranger from them as well. So we have a long history with this place and I have no idea why all of a sudden this service adviser has not been returning my calls. The focus has approximately 77,000 miles on it and I do all of the non-major maintenance on it myself including religiously changing the oil, rotating tires and all other regular forms of maintenance to keep the car in good condition.

I am just stymied with what to do in this situation and any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Time to go in to the shop and talk to the Service Manager. Did you get anything in writing from them that details the work to be done and the estimated cost or no cost (warranty)?
Just wondering if that service advisor may have made a mistake and it isn't covered under warranty. I'd go in and ask to see the Service Manager.

·
Registered
157 Posts
39k I'm not sure. I've got a 2013 se sedan with 101,000. Trade in is only about 2k. At that, I'll just keep the car, keep fixing it a while. Can't replace it with as nice of a vehicle for that money.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Call Ford's customer service center and be prepared, as you are, to detail the problems. I had a 2012 Focus with frequent tranny problems and the dealer was super. A loaner for each repair and no smoke and mirrors. Ford knew they had a problem and between the dealer and Ford I was satisfied enough with their efforts to buy a new 2017. Sold it and bought a 2018. BTW, I'm a retired Chrysler dealer but when had occasion to drive a Focus in 2011 I was sold on it.

How does the 2018 drive vs. the early 2012? I ask that because 2017-2018 Titanium’s are selling very cheap right now, under 16k used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know to see that I'd bother. From reading it looks like they still used the same transmissions. With Ford going away from cars, their resale value probably wouldn't be great. Your call. I know my 2013 se sedan with 101,000 is only worth about 2000 trade in now.

·
Registered
802 Posts
39k I'm not sure. I've got a 2013 se sedan with 101,000. Trade in is only about 2k. At that, I'll just keep the car, keep fixing it a while. Can't replace it with as nice of a vehicle for that money.

That’s what I’ll likely do with mine. Just keep driving the darn thing & hope for the best & if the clutches fail then I’ll be out 2k or whatever it will cost. But like you said, that’s still much cheaper vs. buying something new. Sure, I could trade it for an ST, but the dealer will give me nothing for my car & then I’ll have to pay or finance the difference for the ST, which will be 12-13k., so that would be an expensive decision.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For me, when my car is being driven for work for example, it's more than 100 miles round trip. Good thing for me is that I have AAA. So if I do break down, I can get a tow up to 100 miles free, that way I can get it to the shop in my town and get a ride from someone.

I still owe 11k on this car is the downside though. So if I traded in I'd eat 9k. And really, driving over 100 miles per day, at that cost, I'd rather just pay it off, drive it for work, my wife wants an SUV. So get an SUV and drive that on the weekends and maybe a day or 2 a week to work. We have 2 cars we split time on driving, so I'm probably putting 15k or so per year on my car. Basically, I can't see paying a lot of money for a brand new car just to put 15-20k per year on and tear up in 5 years. So if I can make the old focus last till say 200-300k, that would get me paid off and maybe 5-6 years of service. Even if a transmission has to be changed out of pocket, what does a good used car cost, 6000-7000? That might not work for everyone, but I think it will for me.

I think I'm getting to where I hate car payments too. I mean we buy these cars at 15-20k, then you pay off and get 1k or 2k, maybe a little more if you are lucky. But you might pay 300-500 per month. Been listening to Dave Ramsey, if you've ever heard of him. He's a financial guy and hates all debt. He even prefers to save money and buy cars in cash vs having a payment. So that is in my thinking also. Plus my car still looks good imo.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anyone know what causes the clunking or grinding noise at slow speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Normal for these? At slow speeds the computer really has to try and feather the clutch to keep it smooth. You may also hit that sweet spot between 1st and 2nd where the transmission keeps shifting back and forth between the two.

I can really hear mine when I'm next to a wall, like in a fast food drive through lane. Lot's of clicking and chattering.

But grinding, not so much. How loud is the grinding? And it is like a 'gear grinding' you get when you miss the clutch on a stick shift? That's not normal.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts