Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Suggestions for New Suspension and Brakes

689 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Foci_Fosho 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Focus ZX3 that is due for new brakes w/ rotors and new suspension all around. The mileage is 96k. I do not want to spend a lot of money but I would like something that would last longer than the stock parts. I had the brakes done once but it was rather expensive and did not last but around 30k miles. I just would like some suggestions on some quality brake parts that are not to spendy and some quality suspension that is not to spendy.

Thanks
Nate

#2 ·
Suspension isn't something you want to cheap out on, try looking around for an SVT suspension kit, with MIKE (b16sir1991) as he works for FORD PARTS and can get you a sweet deal on that.

As for brakes, anything cheap won't outlast the OEM parts. You can try to get some parts off ebay though reputable sellers but be careful as ebay is filled with knockoffs. What do you all need for brakes, rotors? pads? drums? What all needs to be replaced?

#3 ·
The main problem with my front brakes is that the rotors are warped and the driver side rubs constantly. I looked at the rotors and there are small but noticable channels in the surface. My back brakes rub too and the pads are worn more on the botton than on the top and have always squeaked.

My suspension in the front makes spring ratteling noises when I go over bumps and turn left or right. I looked at the top of the strut and the rubber that holds the spring and lets it turn has came out of the hole that it sits in. So when I turn the spring slowly binds and then releases making some rattleing noises.

The right front wheel has play in it when you grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and try to move it. It appears to be the inner tie rod and lower ball joint are loose. So I figured while I was repairing that I could get some stuff to fix my suspension and brakes. I just dont want to spend a lot of money on ford parts just to be replacing them again in 30k miles. I would rather spend the same or a little more money on some different parts that would definatley last longer.

Also any way to replace the lower ball joint without having to pull the entire A-frame suspension support arm? And will the SVT suspension kit give me any trouble or extra needed parts if I were to get that?

#5 ·
I use green stuff pads their nice but you really just can't go cheap with braked and suspension.you also have to think about how stiff you want it, what ride height you want to be at, and what your going to be useing your car for the majority of the time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.