Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just curious about how long 5th gear really is. Running with a roush turbo and a 75 shot at what speed do you thing you would be at in 5th, at around 7000rpm. (Running on a track of course and not on the street...stay safe, but have fun)

On another note I was playing need for speed and the gear ratios seemed to match the focus from the game to the street. If this was true then it suggests that 5th gear would hit 270 with enough horsepower of course.

Mike

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
your car would rip to peices at 270mph. it's physically impossible to get that high of a speed in a focus due to the shape of the car and the amount of drag it would cause..

the wind resistance (drag) would litterally start to rip parts of your car off.

Barabus Sports Cars has a 270mph car that is over 1000hp and costs $500,000

you are not going to get a focus with over 1000hp any time soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
270 kmh?

It would never hit 270mph...

And I believe that 270kph or about 165mph is about where the focus gearing would top out... I could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
He is in canada, I would assume he is talking 270 Kilometers an hour.

which is about right for stock focus gearing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah sorry about that i'm so used to talking in Km. So that seems to be where the gear would top out. What kind of HP would you need to reach it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
jaimz22 said:
your car would rip to peices at 270mph. it's physically impossible to get that high of a speed in a focus due to the shape of the car and the amount of drag it would cause..

the wind resistance (drag) would litterally start to rip parts of your car off.

Barabus Sports Cars has a 270mph car that is over 1000hp and costs $500,000

you are not going to get a focus with over 1000hp any time soon.

Actually they have a V8 Focus conversion now that allows something like 350-400 whp and allows for a twin turbo setup that is "suggested" to make over 1000whp. Oh, and it's RWD. Seeing a RWD burnout on a Focus is definately interesting. Too bad the kit is rather pricey.

270mph, what's that, like 180-190 mph? Don't see why you couldn't hit that, but at that track, for a street car, I've only seen a Supra eclipse 185mph in the 1/4.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Actually they have a V8 Focus conversion now that allows something like 350-400 whp and allows for a twin turbo setup that is "suggested" to make over 1000whp. Oh, and it's RWD. Seeing a RWD burnout on a Focus is definately interesting. Too bad the kit is rather pricey.

270mph, what's that, like 180-190 mph? Don't see why you couldn't hit that, but at that track, for a street car, I've only seen a Supra eclipse 185mph in the 1/4.
supra eclipse??

·
Registered
696 Posts
focusedintentions said:
by "eclipse" he meant....just pass...

Exactly. [thumb]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Or did I? Perhaps I was speaking of a combination of the two cars, ala a Sileight (Nissan Silvia front end with a Nissan 180sx rear end). So, say a Suclipe? Eclupra? Nah, screw i, I meant pass with the usage. [thumb]

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
tdkaye1 said:

yeah i know they do have a v8 focus, it's called the RS8, it has 420hp at the crank so about 390whp. i sat in it at jetfest. infact, here's the picture i took

it's actually a 5.0 v8 cammer engine... so your suggesting that any v8 mustang can have twin turbo slapped on to it and have 1000 whp? i think not. otherwise, we'd see alot more 1000whp mustangs driving around.

and 270mph is infact 270mph now 180 - 190 mph..

my comment is that he wouldn't be building a 1000hp focus anytime soon, i didn't say it was impossible. also he was talking about on a zetec not a v8 conversion.

and i've seen an ECLIPSE! (not a supra eclipse) run a 1/4 hitting the line at 212mph at nopi. but that was no eclipse, it was a dedicated drag car with a fiberglass eclipse drop down body on it!

·
Registered
696 Posts
jaimz22 said:
yeah i know they do have a v8 focus, it's called the RS8, it has 420hp at the crank so about 390whp. i sat in it at jetfest. infact, here's the picture i took

it's actually a 5.0 v8 cammer engine... so your suggesting that any v8 mustang can have twin turbo slapped on to it and have 1000 whp? i think not. otherwise, we'd see alot more 1000whp mustangs driving around.

and 270mph is infact 270mph now 180 - 190 mph..

my comment is that he wouldn't be building a 1000hp focus anytime soon, i didn't say it was impossible. also he was talking about on a zetec not a v8 conversion.

and i've seen an ECLIPSE! (not a supra eclipse) run a 1/4 hitting the line at 212mph at nopi. but that was no eclipse, it was a dedicated drag car with a fiberglass eclipse drop down body on it!

Actually, no, it's not the RS8 I speak of. There is a company that will install the 5.0 engine, 351 cu. in. into a Focus.

http://www.kugelkomponents.com/focus/focus.html

That setup is specifically built and allows for a twin turbo set up which would push 1000hp if set up properly. Oh, and my mistake for putting 270mph, when in fact the discussion was 270KPH. Reading would help more than just me. And the SUPRA I speak of is a dedicated STREET Supra, not a drag car. Read my post, I said, STREET in prior posting. Excuse my use of language, assuming people would understand the Supra being the topic, eclipse (as in pass, or exceed) being the verb. Reading, a worthwhile skill to possess (have).

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
1000hp focus...that will be the day. i would love to shake the hand of the person who decides to have a twin turbo v8 conversion in a focus. it would be like a rocket ship, literally. there would be smoke billowing from the tires till you reached 270kph.

·
Registered
704 Posts
imprtslyr0223 said:
1000hp focus...that will be the day. i would love to shake the hand of the person who decides to have a twin turbo v8 conversion in a focus. it would be like a rocket ship, literally. there would be smoke billowing from the tires till you reached 270kph.
In one of the first focus fanatic magazines there is a twin turbo v-8 sedan, that makes like 798 rwhp, on like 17lbs of boost. Hopefully someone can look at on of their old magazines and reference the article.

·
Registered
704 Posts
the work on it was pretty extensive. He had an svt front bumoer, and where the foglights should go was the turbos, there was on oil pump to send the oil to the turbos and one to send it back, the intercooler was in front of the firewall, the radiator was under the trunk with one water pump to send the coolant to the engine, and one to send it back. It looked completely stock except for the drag slicks in the back.

·
Registered
696 Posts
imprtslyr0223 said:

You act like it would never happen. How much HP do you think Lisa Kubos Civic hatchback putout a few years back when she was in Pro FWD? Just because it's a little car doesn't mean anything. Granted, it's a ton of cash to make it into the v8 conversion with RWD, but some people can do that. Hell, most of the cars competeing in the NHRA Sport compact division have cars pushing serious numbers. There's a Mazda 6 turbo in that division lighting everyone up. Throw enough money at something and it'll happen.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
NO that company DOESN't put the engine in, they sell you the componants to be able to put it in. its 5.0 302 V8 (I.E 5.0 mustang engine)

they don't sell the engine, they don't put it in. you buy there parts to be able to hook the engine up to your car. biggest engine you can put in using thier KIT is the a 302 and it's 345hp at the crank.

not to mention a focus at 1000 hp wouldn't be able to be driven it's too light. you wouldn't be able to move the car. its simple physics.

·
Registered
696 Posts
jaimz22 said:
NO that company DOESN't put the engine in, they sell you the componants to be able to put it in. its 5.0 302 V8 (I.E 5.0 mustang engine)

they don't sell the engine, they don't put it in. you buy there parts to be able to hook the engine up to your car. biggest engine you can put in using thier KIT is the a 302 and it's 345hp at the crank.

not to mention a focus at 1000 hp wouldn't be able to be driven it's too light. you wouldn't be able to move the car. its simple physics.

Tee's Customs is the company they have set up to do the installs. Kugels sells you the 5.0 and all the necessary items to turn the FWD into a RWD. Um, 1000hp focus would require a wheelie bar. Other than that, you'd never see a STREET Focus with close to that. Oh, and I said it was possible to make that, but not probably. I wouldn't even want a 500hp Focus streetable. Too much for my tastes. Oh, and don't go to Tee's, the guy is an [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]. I asked simply about the RWD convo and he got pissed when I told him I didn't want the V8.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I can hit 130 in 4th gear with Bolt oNs and A tune. It takes a while but I have done it. So 5th gear should hit 160-170. I would say 300 horses would do it. I think Orange hit 165 in the beast.

1000 hp is a beast. Really not needed on the street, unless all you want to do is street race. 1000 horses isnt needed on the Road Course either, it really is just a glorious number.

Street Cars I have seen push 1k hp.
Cobras (a lot of them) .
Supras (a lot of them) .
Vettes.
Various Stangs and Camaros.
Skyline
ANd I think thats about all Ive seen, If Im not mistaken there may be a Evo that has done it, but I dont know. The Cobra, Supra, Vette, and Skyline can do it on stock internals if im not mistaken (welll I know the Cobra can but Im not sure about the rest. Theres also a BILLION drag cars that can do it. Everything from a 4cylinder in Nopi to a 514ci Nitrous chugin Pinto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts