Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting my windows tinted soon, and Ohio tint laws allow 50% on the front, and any % on the rear windows. I'm thinking 50% all around, or maybe slightly less to compensate for the "solar tint" that the windows already come with. Is there any sense in tinting the back darker than the front? I'm assuming with the "any %" in the back I could do limo tint, just as long as its not reflective.

Thanks in advance [thumb]

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
i've been wondering the same about tint levels in ohio. i'll be watching this thread. to me i'd keep the tint the same all the way around, looks better that way to me. the whole idea of darker tint in the back is so no one can see ya back there with your gf [;)]

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a staggered tint on my windows, 25% up front 18% in the back, its not a drastic difference but a difference none-the-less. A lot of cars have staggered tints and theres nothing wrong with it, personal preference I suppose. If it was me I'd do 50% up front and 25% in the back. Limo tint on the back windows when there is only 50% on the fronts will make it look like there is no front tint at all.

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't planning on doing limo tint in the back, I just mean that I could technically do any tint % I want and not have to deal with the cops.

50/75 sounds good, I wouldn't have to worry about people scoping out what I have in the back seat as much. I'm really getting sick of the windows, my car has a nearly all-black exterior scheme and the windows are the only non-black part (aside from the exhaust tip, brake/tail/reverse lights, headlights and sidemarkers.)

C

·
0 Posts
Stock OEM green tinted or solar tint windows are 70% all round. I live in Ontario, Canada and the only provinces I know of that allows zero after market tinting is Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. My car has 20% all round and I would travel there, but I would be from "out of province", so what can they do about it? Strip your windows on the spot. I don't THINK SO.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
i say go 2.5 % in the back...lol

seriously though.. id go for 35% in the rear.. and 50% up front

at least you can legally tint the fronts... in illinois.. its not legal....ugh

·
Registered
146 Posts
WOW 50% on the front?!?! that has to suck. In Texas we are allowed 35%, but I would recommend 50% on the front and atleast 20% in the back.

·
Registered
484 Posts
i saw another post where he said he got 50 percent in the front and was mad cause it didnt look like tint at all. here in arizona its any in the back and 35 in front. i got 4 percent in back and 20 in front. never had problems with it. well worth it. the heat is killer here

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
get 15% all around lol

nah man, get 35%. it'll still look good, and i'm sure the cops won't be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^
Yeah, until I get pulled over...Ohio requires the place doing the tinting to put a sticker indicating tint percentage between the film and the glass. On top of that, I expect to have to deal with the cops as soon as it goes on. In Ohio, the tint law is as such that if you get a ticket, to prove your innocence you have to go to a state highway patrol testing station and pay the same amount as the fine to have your glass tested. I'll probably go with 50% in the front and 35% in the back.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Hey, post pics when ur done. I'm planning on getting my windows tinted soon. In Michigan it's illegal to tint the front at all... but i'm thinking of doing 50-35 like you are.

·
Registered
146 Posts
35 in the back and 50 in the front will be a waste of your money. you will not be able to notice any kind of difference on the front windows from no tint and 35 in the back, thats what most states allow in the front because its not that tinted.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i put 35% over my whole windsheild with a 20% strip over the top to help make it a little more legal looking, and 15% on the rest of the windows. i rarely get pulled over for it, but they just give out fix it tickets you just need an officer to sign it before a certain date saying its within legal spec. since all they do is check the make/model/vin on the car, i just test drive a new black focus put my plates on it and flag down a cop. he signs off on the fix it ticket, i bring the car back take off my plates and put em back on my car. no fine and i keep my tint.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i got 5% all the way around and no problem with the cops....i believe the law is 25 in front...it gets so hot here so the 5% helps a lot IMO i like the dark tint

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Test drive a car, change plates, then track down a cop?

Sorry man, call me lazy, but no thanks. Too much work for me.

Besides... that's why I asked him to post pics... to see if 50% was worth it ;) I have a feeling it will look just fine.

·
Jetsetter
6,651 Posts
im very illegal here in NY law is 70% and i did 35% all the way around [:D] no problems to date and i love it, 50% will look just fine but youll probley wish you had gotten darker afterwords

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Ehh I dunno I'm happy I didn't go any darker, it has that "factory" look but still custom, it's hard to explain. But all my friends tell me they love the tint level because it's not super standoutish, leaving it with the sleeper/tuner look.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts