Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building my car's system, and I need suggestions for subwoofer/ amp combos.

My head unit is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X769 http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-87sDt1AP4uO/Prodview.asp?c=3&g=300&I=113KDCX769&s=0&cc=01

Front doors have Kenwood KFC-C6889ie (3 way 6X8) http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...c=10&g=52200&I=113KFC6889&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Rear doors have Kenwood KFC-C6879ie (2 way 6X8) http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...c=10&g=52200&I=113KFC6879&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

I don't know anyone near me with a sedan (mostly ZX3's near here), so I cannot hear what there system sounds like. I don't want a ton of bass, but some nice "backbone" to my music would be nice, with some occasional boom.

I mostly listen to blues/ rock with some metal and occasionally rap thrown in for spice. Examples are: Jonny Lang, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Kenny Wayne Shepard, 3 Doors Down, Saliva, Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack.

Anyone got a suggestion for me? Don't wanna spend all day at the installer trying different subs or sub combos. [???:)]

·
Registered
951 Posts
I listen to mostly rock, alternative myself, with a hint of rap now and then. I went with an alpine amp and 2 JL audio 8's (in ZX3). The 8's dont hit like a 10 or 12, more crisp to work well with the music I listen to. At least thats what my buddy who works for Good Guys and did the install told me when I was shopping.

·
Registered
951 Posts
[offtopic] Saw your profile.........My name is Jeremy, and I'm always tinkering with my T-Maxx 2.5........thought that was kinda coincidence.

·
Registered
309 Posts
A little similar here. I have an Alpine/JL Audio combo for amp and sub. I have the stealthbox from JL with a 10" W3V2 sub in it. It can hadle 300 Watts continuously, so hits pretty well. I listen to mostly metal, rock and punk and this JL is very precise in its sealed enclosure.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
Well, I've never been a JL fan, don't know why really, but I'm not. Not to say there is anything wrong with them either. Depending on your price range changes alot of things. I'd go with a nice RF 10" DVC. You'll get great backbone, nice crisp smooth bass, clean lows and great resonance. (good for music with bass guitar in it.) Also has great punch for anything with clean bass drum hits. If you wanted more power, I'd suggest an Eclipse Aluminum cone 10" or 12" but the price goes up alot, and so does the power you need to drive it. For amps you can go several ways. If you want to work with just one amp. You could get a Directed 1100d5 it is a VERY versatile and powerful amp. 5-channels and great quality. Or you could get any number of combinations of 4-channel and mono amps. Best advice have fun with it, make sure you like it, and don't listen to what any of us has to say about brands. [;)]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. The receiver puts out what I think is plenty of power to the doors, I just was wanting to add a sub or two to round out the sound, so a big 4 or 5 channel amp isn't necessary. Sounds to me like one or two smaller subs are in order, say a pair of 8" or one 10" and about 200 or so watts. This sound good to you guys?

As for the T-Maxx Bigbadworm, I got 2 [:D] and work in a hobby shop part time to pay for parts. Also mod at a T-Maxx message board http://www.maxxpitstop.com

·
Registered
309 Posts
RPIJG said:
Best advice have fun with it, make sure you like it, and don't listen to what any of us has to say about brands. [;)]
Very well said [cheers]

There are many brands out there you simply can't go wrong with (JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Eclipse, Alpine, etc). The only thing you should listen to is to go for quality parts, then you will be fine. Don't ask me why, but I always been a JL fun - originally I wanted the whole system from JL, amp, sub and components. But as I listened to many diff brands somehow I ended up with having a mix of JL, Alpine and Boston Acoustics. Anyway, the point is I love it and that's the only thing that matters.

As for the set-up one 10" and 200 Watts RMS would add plenty of bass, I'm sure you would really like it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well here's my 2 cents: I say your system is not a bad setup. Its a balance of performance and price. The sound that kenwood speakers make is very good. I myslef have a JL Audio W6 10" sub that I placed in a modified MACH1 box. You won't beleive it but that stock sub runs real nice with it. The amp isn't the biggest but the JL is very efficiant. The doors and rear are stock for now. I'am debating on getting something ,but what I don't know yet. But I like the way you are going with your set up. Kenwood is a real smart choice when it comes to head units. I have a KDC-9017 that going in this weekend. Good luck with you set up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK..I LIKE ALL BRANDS TOO....I OWN A KDCX 917 EXCELON BUT IN MY TRUCK..AND BY THE WAY
FOR SUB COMBO..CHECK KICKER ...IM PRETTY SURE A SOLO BARIC LS7 10" WILL DO THE JOB...AND JUST ONE WITH A NICE KICKER AMP WILL WORK GREAT..I MEAN EXCELLENT...CHECK IT OUT....I CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH THE SUB..!!!!! GOOD LUCK.!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks. I have actually been looking at an L7, but the Kenwood 10's I'm looking at are on clearance where I buy my stuff - 2 for $120. I'll prolly e-bay the second one [:D]

·
Registered
318 Posts
2x12 kenwood cyclone subs, 800 watt kenwood amp, with stock stereo unit, sounds excellent, awesome bass response, makes the heads turn.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
You can't go wrong with JL subs. Even their W0s make good sound. I have a JL 12W7 and there is nothing I've heard that sounds as clean AND as loud as this sub.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts