Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have noticed something very weird with my subs. I will just be driving along, and then all the sudden my subs just stop working. I checked, and each time they do this, the amp is still on. It will do it on and off, it has been for the past couple of days. Some parts of a song, they will work, and then later on in the song, they will stop working and all I can hear is the stock sub which is much quieter. I have two subs in a box powered by an amp which is bridging them. Also, I might wanna mention that the battery that is in there now has been the stock one. Yes, it is an 02 battery. And I do notice that all my dash lights and headlights dim with the bass kinda severely when I crank it up a little...

Any ideas on what I should do or check?

Thanks!

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Check your RCA connections from the headunit to the amp and check to make sure that your speaker terminals have the wires connected securely.

Could also be shutting down from playing the stereo at high volume for extended periods of time causing the amp to shut down into a safe mode to cool off.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check your RCA connections from the headunit to the amp and check to make sure that your speaker terminals have the wires connected securely.

Could also be shutting down from playing the stereo at high volume for extended periods of time causing the amp to shut down into a safe mode to cool off.
I will check my connections to my amp and I will also check my speaker terminals. If that doesn't fix it, I will have to pop out my headunit tomorrow.

Also, I doubt that it is going into safe mode because today I was at the mall for a few hours, went back out to my car, started it up, and they didnt work for a while. Then after a bit, they started to work, then shut off again, then back on. Ahhhhhhh confusing...

Thanks for your help though so far... I'll go out and check right now

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe they aren't very high at all, I will check when I get back there.

Thanks

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I don't think it's the gains either. If you get power to the amp, it has to be only the speaker wire, terminals or RCA cables.

·
Registered
233 Posts
And u may of blown them. The voice coils could be blown a little bit and once u reach a volume it will turn off on u. Happened to me not to long ago

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
If you can get to the wires just run one speaker and see what happens.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Obviously, there are a multitude of possible problems. Sounds like you have eliminated heat as an issue. Has it done this since it was first installed, or did it start later? If it has done this since the start, then it is likely that the impedance (ohm load) being presented to the amplifier by the speakers is too low. What is the amplifier rated for in bridged mode (what impedance that is). Are you subs single or dual voice coil, and what impedance are the coils? Answer these questions and we can get down to some detailed trouble shooting.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Obviously, there are a multitude of possible problems. Sounds like you have eliminated heat as an issue. Has it done this since it was first installed, or did it start later? If it has done this since the start, then it is likely that the impedance (ohm load) being presented to the amplifier by the speakers is too low. What is the amplifier rated for in bridged mode (what impedance that is). Are you subs single or dual voice coil, and what impedance are the coils? Answer these questions and we can get down to some detailed trouble shooting.
It just started recently.
The subs are 8ohms I believe, but are wired together in the box and in the end equal a 4ohm independence. And I know that the amp is stable at 4ohms bridged. The subs are also single voice coil I believe.

Thanks for the help, and if you have any other questions lemme know!

·
Registered
963 Posts
probly just a bad ground. if your grounded to the floorof the hatch area you might want to make sure you have the ground hooked to bare metal. not a painted are. Use a small piece of sand paper and just clean the area up and you should be good.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It could be a loose tinsel connection on one or both speakers.

I have seen this happen from driving the speakers too hard and damaging the connection. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
Obviously, there are a multitude of possible problems. Sounds like you have eliminated heat as an issue.
im in NO way a car audio expert but it has been anywhere from -10 to just above 20* out side as of late for the HIGHS around us... so i dont think its an over heating issue lol

sorry im no real help just thought a heat issue when its below freezing was funny not like its jtrips obligation to know the local temps here i just happen to know... and its COLD!!!!!!!! [rofl]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts