Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the stock headunit come with an output to add a sub? Or will I have to get a new headunit? I want to wire the new sub so it will just handle the lows and the stock speakers will handle the highs and mids. Is this possible with the stock headunit?

·
Registered
650 Posts
There is an adapter or something you need to get I think. I just wired my 2 12's an a 1000W amp, I bought a new HU so I didn't have to worry about that,, hope you find what you're looking for..

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much DidHeFocus? that saved me alot of money and now i can get the sub i wanted without having to pay for a new HU.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want to take this further since I am interested in the same question:

Now, to add a sub to the blau mp3 player, what sort of harnesses will i need for the installation? (Name everything that would be necessary to install any amp, and the place to buy the items, please)

Thank you for all your help, you are all great here.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
psybeer said:
Now, to add a sub to the blau mp3 player, what sort of harnesses will i need for the installation? (Name everything that would be necessary to install any amp, and the place to buy the items, please). [/B]
To start, I can't name everything needed because I don't have all of the variables for your install.

I can tell you that I couldn't find the harness kit for all the connectors in the HU. Maybe it's available by now. Any car stereo retailer/installer should carry harness kits. The speaker and power connectors are the same as the VW harness kit but it doesn't include the connector for the sub output. I just cut these wires since I will never try to obtain and purchase the factory sub amp and woofer.
I also wouldn't add a power amp for the main speakers because of the lack of low-level outputs.
It is of course possible to use a 4 channel amp with high-level inputs fed by the speaker leads of the HU. My experience and opinion of this method is that it very well may get louder this way but, it can never sound as good as without the amp due to the inherent distortion of the double final stage amplification.

Look at the wiring diagram posted in this thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3037 and narrow down your plans.
I used a 2 conductor shielded microphone cable for the sub signal cable.
Almost any single channel or stereo amp can be used. The Blau mp3 HU only puts out about 20 watts peak x 4 so don't go crazy with too much power to the sub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DidHe?,

Thank you very much for the feedback... it's been very helpful.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
i'm assuming that the remote turn on wire is just like aftermarket amps so you take the wire and hook it to the hu by connecting it to a wire on it. on that wire harnes i am guessing there's a specific wire for the factory sub amp turn on wire but if there isn't then hook it to the green/yellow wire, it is the wire that turns the radio on so when the raido turns on then the amp will turn on. good luck,

- Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts