Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finnaly got my sub installed. It sounds awesome when I play stuff like Eminem, but when I throw in the best of the best....Metallica. It doesn't sound how I would like. I've played with the HU settinga and the amp settings. Is there something I could do to make it sound better? It just doesn't seem like it's hitting fast enough or something. I have two 10's in a bandpass enclosure. Subs are 500w and so is amp. Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,414 Posts
the bandpass is most likely your problem. they usually max out at the low freq. and doesn't quite hit on the higher notes. ported boxs are the best for me, i have mine tuned to 34 hrz, plays bass heavy music quite well and still hits hard on the metal songs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
the wire youre using from HU to speaker can also create slight timing delays, depending on how good/poor the wire itself is. best buy and radio shack carry high performance audio wire (monster) that is more designed for precision audio transfer, you could always try that.
if you go this route, don't forget to upgrade the wiring inside the box, no sense changing the rest just to have a bottleneck there

bandpass doesn't help much either. Also, the size of the box itself also has a lot to do with it. Smaller boxes that rely more on harmonic resonance can take a split second to build up proper resonance levels and have more response gaps than larger boxes.

I'd also check the +/- on both speakers. I don't know if its an issue on your head unit/amp, but if the polarity is reversed on one speaker and not the other, it can cancel out the other speaker at first, until the box pressure forces them to match phase, which is also incredibly hard on the speakers, not to mention affects output.

hope that all makes sense, and hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Bandpass is more likely your problem.

This will give you a GENERAL idea

If your setup is easy to remove (or you have time) and you have a friend who has a sealed/ported setup (that is of comparable quality... for example... a pyle driver vs a seas lotus would not be comparable).

Switch your bandpass setup with your friends, and his/hers with yours. Listen to his/hers in your car and yours in his/her car. More than likely your setup in his/her car will sound the same/similar, notice the difference of sound with your friends setup in your car.

More than likely you'll notice a change in response (when playing Metallica or something more upbeat)

I highly doubt your RCA cables and speaker wire are the cause of the problem (unless maybe you're using 16 gauge (or smaller) speaker wire for your subwoofers)

The box has a lot to do with in car subwoofer response.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
I have a ported/sealed box from QLogic (34Hz) and I when I play hip hop music using ported bass is really high that makes me get out of the car, although when listening to rock ported is not as good as sealed.

You need to decide which music you most like to hear (i.e. rock/hip cop) and then select ported or sealed.

Check the crossover LPF to not more than 100Hz so you can play music louder without distortion.
 

·
my car breaks!
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
devxon said:
I have a ported/sealed box from QLogic (34Hz) and I when I play hip hop music using ported bass is really high that makes me get out of the car, although when listening to rock ported is not as good as sealed.

You need to decide which music you most like to hear (i.e. rock/hip cop) and then select ported or sealed.

Check the crossover LPF to not more than 100Hz so you can play music louder without distortion.
you could have port seals to change your ported box into a sealed box by plugging the holes. but theres 2 problems with it.

1.) you have to get out and seal / unseal the ports (LMAO)
2.) you have to know exactly what your doing when it comes to box building to make a box that allows you do to such a thing (with the correct tuning for each box type)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Sealed is the easiest and sounds best for those who like a variety of music.

My sealed box and sub/amp combo is very tight, but also has the right amount of extension for my taste. I dialed in the sealed box wiith a few ounces of polyfill to get the sound I wanted. Unless you want to wake the neighbors, I prefer sealed. [:D]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
DarwinSays said:
the wire youre using from HU to speaker can also create slight timing delays, depending on how good/poor the wire itself is. best buy and radio shack carry high performance audio wire (monster) that is more designed for precision audio transfer, you could always try that.
if you go this route, don't forget to upgrade the wiring inside the box, no sense changing the rest just to have a bottleneck there

bandpass doesn't help much either. Also, the size of the box itself also has a lot to do with it. Smaller boxes that rely more on harmonic resonance can take a split second to build up proper resonance levels and have more response gaps than larger boxes.

I'd also check the +/- on both speakers. I don't know if its an issue on your head unit/amp, but if the polarity is reversed on one speaker and not the other, it can cancel out the other speaker at first, until the box pressure forces them to match phase, which is also incredibly hard on the speakers, not to mention affects output.

hope that all makes sense, and hope it helps.
Has nothing to do with size of wire. Unless he has hundreds upon hundreds of feet of speaker cable, timing is not an issue.

box size is ONLY relative to the specific speaker you're putting in. Build up proper resonance levels?????? more response gaps????? wtf?

if the speakers are wired out of phase, they will always be out of phase. box pressure won't change a thing, ever.

the problem is the bandpass box you're using. it has a very limited frequency response and very few ever have that attack you're looking for. a sealed or ported box will sound much better overall for all types of music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
C62086 said:
It sounds awesome when I play stuff like Eminem, but when I throw in the best of the best....Metallica.
This quote makes me laugh. Best of the best is Metallica... it better be the older stuff because St. Anger sounds like crap! I listened to the CD 2 times. First time was to listen to St. Anger, the other was me trying to listen to the entire CD (had to take it out halfway because it sounded like garbage).



Now some help. Definately has to be the box design. Bandpass enclosures are designed to play a very small range of music, which makes your Eminem sound good (BOOM BOOM BOOM). Metallica and just about every other rock 'n roll band won't sound as good because it lacks the low end bass rap and electronic music has.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top