1,826 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket headunit?
Do you have an amp?
If so, is the amp set up and ready?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im planning on purchasin everything a little after the 18th. I have the factory headunit, I plan on buyin an amp, and 1 or 2 12" subs, I am impressed with the factory speakers so Im going to leave those the way they are.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Ok so if you plan on keeping the stock stereo you will need to buy a LOC(line output converter). This taps into our rear speakers and gives you the RCA's you need for the amp. Next is you will want to buy a good quality amp install kit. I would say 8 gauge wire would be fine, unless your 12" subs are gonna handle a ton of watts. With that kit you will get a power cable with an inline fuse. This cable goes from the positive terminal of battery, thru the fire wall, then to the amp. Next is the ground. This need to be bolted to the frame of car. MUST BE ON BARE METAL. That means no paint. Then there is a turn on lead or power control. This tells the amp when to turn on and off. Since you are keeping your factory stereo you will nedd to tap into on of the fuses. I believe the fuse for your "gauges" works. So run a wire from that to your amp. Then the RCA's, and you are done. If you buy DVC(dual voice coil) subs there are different wire options for those so you will have to post up what kind of subs and amp you are gonna get. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so if you plan on keeping the stock stereo you will need to buy a LOC(line output converter). This taps into our rear speakers and gives you the RCA's you need for the amp. Next is you will want to buy a good quality amp install kit. I would say 8 gauge wire would be fine, unless your 12" subs are gonna handle a ton of watts. With that kit you will get a power cable with an inline fuse. This cable goes from the positive terminal of battery, thru the fire wall, then to the amp. Next is the ground. This need to be bolted to the frame of car. MUST BE ON BARE METAL. That means no paint. Then there is a turn on lead or power control. This tells the amp when to turn on and off. Since you are keeping your factory stereo you will nedd to tap into on of the fuses. I believe the fuse for your "gauges" works. So run a wire from that to your amp. Then the RCA's, and you are done. If you buy DVC(dual voice coil) subs there are different wire options for those so you will have to post up what kind of subs and amp you are gonna get. Hope this helps.
Great advice! However, I might suggest getting some larger wire for the install kit. 8 Gauge will limit you to amps under 400RMS and that's not enough power in my opinion. (I'm a bass head!!) 4 Gauge wire will give you more options. Also, tell us what you're looking to spend on the setup so we can help you get the best gear for your money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts