Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recently went into a best buy to pre-order mw3 and i went looking through the car audio stuff and i was looking at the sub boxes and i saw that they had a clearance sale. i got this box http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fierce+...sure/9853841.p?id=1218186321665&skuId=9853841 for $30 cause it was a display. the box is in awesome shape but the geeks from geeks squad didn't know how to use a drill worth a sh!t. one of the mounting holes for the subs is all drilled inward and i was wondering if there's anything i can do to keep the wood from breaking up and chipping/flaking off when i put the new subs in.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
do you have a pic of the actual box? I think that would help.

are you talking about the big hole the sub actually sits into or are you talking about just one of the screw holes?

if its the big hole you could probably scab a new piece of MDF to the inside. if its just a screw hole, you would probably be ok with out that screw or you could just rotate the sub a bit and re drill all the holes.

It may seem like a decent price but if you have to do a lot of work to it, more than likely its not that good of a deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pre drill your mounting holes and use wood glue or white glue. when you are ready to drive the screw is squeeze some glue in each mounting hole and drive the screws in. btw I always use hex head screws and not slot heads. hex heads are easier to drive in & if you need to back them out for any reason it's cake. black hex head screws look sweet.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
rather then glue use some liquid nails it works great as a sealent and is strong as h[:)][:)][:)]
if you use it with your screws when putting the sub in dont expect them to come back out. wood glue would be best for that. for filling a screw hole a strong sealent is best

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just used some of this butyl rope on 2 12" subs that I mounted into a sealed box:
sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/ebr

It was really cool to work with, kinda like a sticky silly putty consistency. I'd imagine that you could use it on the speakers that you put into the box and not even use a screw in the badly drilled hole. It makes such a nice air-tight seal and you don't have to worry about any fumes being harmful to the speakers. Plus since it never dries or hardens, you could always remove the speakers if you wanted to at a later time. I stretched it out fairly thin and even after going around 2 12s I still have some left over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts