Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K, here's the deal... '02 Focus ZTS with factory 6-disk HU. For now, thinking of using it with a decent 12" (Perfect) sub w. dual 4 ohm vc's and ported box tuned to 32 hz. I play bass guitar and 32hz is pretty close to "low C" on a 5 sting bass. I built the box real heavy to keep box resonance way down.

I am looking to capture more of a studio sound rather than a club sound, if you know what i mean. I also do a lot of "sound man" stuff and if nothing more, i have an idea of what sounds decent to me and what doesn't. I inherited the sub from my other car... I need to get an amp. It's like i don't need my car jumping 2 feet off the ground every time someone hits the kick drum! I had a 600 watt amp in my other car, totally unneeded. My bass rig is 600 watts and i can shake up a small room pretty good, and wipe out the drummer if i want to, so i'm not thinking i need this in my car! I was thinking of 150-300 watts (true RMS) output @ 2ohms. Oh, and I don't have a huge amount of money to spend like to replace the HU or the 4 speakers, etc.

Also, I am understanding that it's not going to make a whole lot of difference where I take the high level feed from, either front or rear speakers since I assume the inputs on the amp are fairly high impedance -- which means (I assume) the volume is not going to drop noticably just by hooking the system up to the sub amp.

So, any help would be great... Thanks!
HB

·
Registered
845 Posts
With that power handling from an amp, I'd put in 2 JBL loud-n-clear 10's in a bandbass box. You'll be amazed at how good it'll sound, and you won't be knocking the important parts off your car with bass. They're also really inexpensive and may be the best buy for the $$$. (they're about 75 watts RMS each)

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
hahaha...you "highly extremely completely disagree" huh?..lol....actually bandpass boxes are accurate, and are a great design for the vented poles through the magnet since the ports in the box allow fresh air to them. Also, the JBL Loud-n-Clear subs are designed for clarity across a broad range of music, and are ideally suited for the bandpass box. If you listen to just a bass guitar, then a ported box with a single 12 is fine, but when other musical instruments (ie..drums) come in, you're gonna hear a lot of distortion. I would at least do a sealed enclosure with one 12. Unless you plan on adding a crossover and a 10in or 8in in a small sealed box later. I've been that direction with the ported box before, and I didn't get a well rounded sound from my music. You really need to make your single sub more versatile, or modify your whole system to make it as a whole more versatile. If you like the sound you get from that setup, then great and I'm happy for ya, but most people would prefer to hear all the instruments in their music. Tune it to what you like though. I don't have to listen to it.
BTW: that amp (US accoustics) is fine. The only downside I've seen with those amps is the size vs. power handling. They seem really big for their output #s (of course, I've only dealt with the 4-channel amps by their brand and haven't gotten to play with a 2 channel). The big size could be a plus if it lets the amp dissipate more heat though.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Again, i have to disagree. The ports aren't tehre to let "fresh-air" in. They allow the box to be tuned to a specific frequency and allow it to get louder and lower. bandpass boxes are designed for loudness. A correctly made bandpass box should be tuned below 30hz. By adjusting the chamber volumes (creating a narrower band) you can gain over 8 db. This isn't what he needs. If you wanted to use a bandpass enclosure for this situation you'd want to make the sealed chamber smaller to avoid possible problems of overexertion. But again, it wouldn't be what your looking for in my opinion. I'd suggest a well made (3/4" MDF and possibly braced) sealed enclosure somewhere between .88-1.25 cu ft.

- Scott

·
Registered
845 Posts
lol...I think we are dabating the same point here, and we both agree to go with a sealed enclosure. I wasn't trying to get into what demensions make what frequencies sound best and whatnot. I was just saying that the Loud-n-Clears sound best in the bandpass and are very precise with many types of music, and that a ported box isn't the best way to go unless you have a more customized system than a single 12in sub or only listen to music with one type of bass per song.

Honestly, most sub aplications that I've seen on the street sounded best with a sealed enclosure. I've heard some 15s sound great in a ported box and some that sounded suprisingly well hitting free air, but it's rare that I've ever heard a 10 or 12 sound "up to it's potential" in a ported box. The ones that I have heard weren't very good sounding....they were very loud, but not as clear as I like my music. I'm also not a fan of the bandpass box, but in some applications, it can really make a difference. You really just have to match the sub to the proper box, and most of the time, the sub manufacturer has box specifications for the sub already (it's printed on the packaging of the sub or the insert with it...they usually give you the proper cu. ft. to make the enclosure also).

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Alright, I finally agree with that. Matching a sub with a certain box is important. In my expiernce, Audiobahns sound good in ported boxes while elemental subs sound great in a small sealed box. The box is as important as the sub. Using the right materials, correct tuning, right volume, etc. will make almost any sub sound good.

- Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts