Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, I go out and start my car, which has been sitting for about 3.5 hours and when I go to turn it over, it stutters and won't start. Try again, same. Third time it starts. I turn it off, again, a slow start. WTF! It's brand new, what the hell?! Ideas?

[:(!]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has any thoughts on this?????
[???:)] [???:)]

·
Registered
859 Posts
The owners manual instructs you to turn the key to the on postion for a couple of seconds before starting the car.

Most of the many others having this problem have reported that doing the above solves the problem.

My ST does this very rarely. In my experience it happens when I press the gas pedal before starting the car, so you can try avoiding that also.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EricR said:
The owners manual instructs you to turn the key to the on postion for a couple of seconds before starting the car.

Most of the many others having this problem have reported that doing the above solves the problem.

My ST does this very rarely. In my experience it happens when I press the gas pedal before starting the car, so you can try avoiding that also.
I'll give that a try, though I don't hit the gas before I start.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, but not sure Ford has a TSB for the '06 ST's though. That's been my problem with alot of these issues.

·
Registered
176 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Yeah, but not sure Ford has a TSB for the '06 ST's though. That's been my problem with alot of these issues.
It's been updated, apparently, to include 06's...though it says it's normal operation. Get a Xcal 2 and a good tune [:D]

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mastodon said:
It's been updated, apparently, to include 06's...though it says it's normal operation. Get a Xcal 2 and a good tune [:D]
Yeah, think I'm going to have to do that anyways since I have a problem with the gas mileage as well. I'm getting 15mpg right now around town and about 20mpg on the highway and the dealer I bought it at gave me the "engine needs to break in more". Granted, I'm at 1k miles, but still, that's some shit mileage. So, I figured xcal it, drop the egr program, drop my revs and idle start up revs and see if that doesn't help my mpg as well. [:(]

·
Registered
26 Posts
ive actually had that problem in the past too. cept mine would start every time, but it would have an extended crank. so i took it into my work and they put a new fuel pump into it, and it hasn't done it since.

i also had the fuel mileage problem too. at first i thought it was due to my foot being in it all of the time, but after they replaced the fuel pump, i got way better gas mileage.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rightwingjosh_ST said:
ive actually had that problem in the past too. cept mine would start every time, but it would have an extended crank. so i took it into my work and they put a new fuel pump into it, and it hasn't done it since.

i also had the fuel mileage problem too. at first i thought it was due to my foot being in it all of the time, but after they replaced the fuel pump, i got way better gas mileage.
Hmm.....I was thinking injectors but yeah, could be that too. I mean my ST was sitting most of the model year '06 and I JUST bought it July 1st so to have these problems was odd. Did you also get a "click" sound when letting off the clutch from a dead stop or where it sounded like the rear brakes disengaged? Could be me, but I'm hearing sounds that I don't like on it so far. I love the performance factor but hating the x-factors! [:(!] Oh, and that was obviously under warranty right? I might have a harder time since you appear to work for a dealer and can just ask the SA to hook it up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Hmm.....I was thinking injectors but yeah, could be that too. I mean my ST was sitting most of the model year '06 and I JUST bought it July 1st so to have these problems was odd. Did you also get a "click" sound when letting off the clutch from a dead stop or where it sounded like the rear brakes disengaged? Could be me, but I'm hearing sounds that I don't like on it so far. I love the performance factor but hating the x-factors! [:(!] Oh, and that was obviously under warranty right? I might have a harder time since you appear to work for a dealer and can just ask the SA to hook it up.
yeah i bought my focus in january. and it did it pretty much from the beggining. as far as that click sound goes, ive never really noticed one, but then again my radio is always on. but ill listen for it next time. and yes the fuel pump was under warranty. but i wouldnt think that anyone would have a problem getting it looked at under warranty. even if they cant find a problem with it, you shouldnt have to pay a diag fee. since the diag. fee is for when they actually find something wrong with it, and that "something" would have to not be under the warranty for you to pay it. i mean who knows. if enough people have that problem, it may turn into a recall eventually anyway.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I called the dealer I bought it from and they said to put 3k miles on it and if it's still having fuel issues, bring it in. It seems like it's slowly creeping up though. I think this tank will be about 20 miles or so over the normal tally. I'll have to remember that though and see if it's an issue later on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
tdkaye1 said:
Yeah but I notice it on mine a bit and it was my demo first before I decided to buy it, so...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my '03 PZEV.... I have a thread open about it, but for the most part I haven't got any answers. It seems like most people are stumped by this, and the ECU flash is the only real suggestion I've got. Not sure if it'll help or not though because I'm down at school now and I can't take it in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts