Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I'm new to this site so please hang with me. My wife drives a 2007 focus and we found a 2000 for cheap i thought i could rob parts from. Bought the car brought it home and decided I could fix it. When we got it it would hardly idle and had no power at any acceleration. I did the following:
1. changed spark plugs
2. cleaned throttle body
3. changed fuel filter
4. changed pcv hose (it was collapsed and had a hole in it)
5. cleaned pcv valve
6. changed air filter

The car now starts and idles fine but it doesnt accelerate right. When you give it gas very slowly it runs fine but when you punch it or try to accelerate fast it wants to stutter and give no power. Eventually it will kick in though and run normal. I'm leaning towards a fuel pump because of the recall they did on this car but hating to spend the money if its a cheaper fix. Running codes P0171 (system to lean) and P0135 (O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1). anyone have any suggestions? Im gonna replace the spark plug wires as well but dont see this causing the problem just normal maintenance.

EDIT: its a 2000 Zetec DOHC 2.0 with 186k miles automatic wagon. Thanks in advance for help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The girl i got it from did no upkeep to it the 5 years she had it. Not even an oil change. oil has been changed recently though and filter. It was a neglected focus being sold as scrap and I bought it. would love to get it running right and drive it around but need to figure out this stutter problem first.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
These were known for coil problems, especially the wiring harness right at the plug. Check that carefully for cracks or fraying. Also remove the coil itself and flip it over to see if there are any hairline cracks...if there are, you need a new coil.

Mine had the stutter/no power issue for a week before it finally threw a code for misfiring. And it was right around the same mileage, too.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If the coil check doesn't solve your issue, check the info. here:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/...manual-trans-tps-atx-throttle-body-works.html

IF the TPS isn't reporting the movement of the butterfly plate in the throttle body correctly, the PCM won't know to add fuel for acceleration & it'll stumble badly.

Your report of OK revving when the pedal is moved slowly points to this as a possibility.

Leora's check is good for a first item to look at, simply because it's an easy check for a common problem.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
focusbymistake, one good piece of advise that I learned here is; when buying a used car and putting time, parts and money into it... do a cylinder compression test on the car before you start working on it.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
compression check before buying is best IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts