Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought new tires on Thursday, (Goodyear assurance max life) tech mounted and balanced them while we were installing the 180 thermostat. I live about an hour from work, and on the way home I had a noticeable vibration at 55-60. I figured maybe the balance was off, so today I asked if he could do a road force balance. He spent almost 3 hours making sure it was right on all 4 corners. Drove home and now it’s worse. Not noticeable at low speeds, but the faster I go the worse it gets. Could it be something besides the tires even though it only started immediately after the new tires?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are they the proper weight/speed rating for the car? Wonder if one of your tires may have a broken belt (being defective).

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Bought new tires on Thursday, (Goodyear assurance max life) tech mounted and balanced them while we were installing the 180 thermostat. I live about an hour from work, and on the way home I had a noticeable vibration at 55-60. I figured maybe the balance was off, so today I asked if he could do a road force balance. He spent almost 3 hours making sure it was right on all 4 corners. Drove home and now it’s worse. Not noticeable at low speeds, but the faster I go the worse it gets. Could it be something besides the tires even though it only started immediately after the new tires?
More than likely, the tire balancing machine is not properly calibrated.... It's possible there is an alignment issue, but since you say the vibration got worse after the second attempt at balancing the tires, an improperly calibrated balancer is the most likely issue. Tire balancing machines should be calibrated in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, but most shops will skip out on calibrating their balancer(s) because it takes time and they perceive it as lost money.
Are they the proper weight/speed rating for the car? Wonder if one of your tires may have a broken belt (being defective).
A broken belt or cord would show on a road force balance...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts