Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I wanted to get a clutch soon because I am going to have a header and cams soon and I don't think the stock clutch is going to to hold up too well.

My question that I REALLY need answered is if I didn't want to go with the flywheel RIGHT AWAY that means I would have to get a clutch that is specifically made for the duratec BUT if I were to do the flywheel that F2 sells that means I could get a ZETEC clutch that is like 200 bucks cheaper right??? You guys are always very helpful... so thank in advance for the reasponses.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also... I was looking at draxas's website and it says that it is about 299.99 for a spec stage one clutch for a ZETEC and the stage one will be able to handle up to 300 ft/lbs of torque. I will not be pushing out 300 ft/lbs. of torque cause once I do cams and a header I will be done with performance besides maybe NOS...

My second question is... they have the Spec stage two and it says that it could handle 340 ft/lbs. of torque... is the extra 70 bucks that they want worth the added protection of 40ft/lbs. even though I won't be pushing out those kinda numbers???

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
As far as I know, the Duratec uses the same mtx75 that the Zetec does. So if that's the case, the clutch should work with or without the flywheel.

300lb/tq is more than enough clamping force for your projected mods. It'll be overkill if you go with the extra 40lb/tq and you'll probably just increase your pedal effort.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Same transmission, yes. Same flywheel, no. There are differences that don't allow a Zetec clutch to immediately bolt up to a stock Duratec flywheel.

·
.....NObama.....
1,875 Posts
so is the zetec clutch and the flywheel from F2 a better idea than replacing just the duratec clutch with a spec stage 1?

how much is labor usually for replacing a clutch? the local shop gave me an estimate over the phone of 350 - 400 ... that sound right?

how hard is it to change out a clutch/flywheel? if it isn't THAT hard I could do it myself at a buddy's house who has air tools.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Depends on your needs. If you aren't going to be reving past 7000, or don't plan to install a lightweight flywheel, a Duratec clutch will do just fine (assuming you need to replace it).

As for replacing the clutch, you need to remove the transmission to get to the flywheel. The shop is probably looking at 4-5 hours at $80 an hour, give or take. Its not necessarily hard, its just time consuming, unless that is your definition of hard.

·
Retired Focus Addict
9,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I would need to buy the Zetec flywheel for a a Zetec clutch to work???

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes, they (the flywheels) bolt on to their clutches in different bolt patterns, or something like that. Which is why the F2 flywheel should have gotten much more excitement during its release

Personally, my clutch is fine, but I know which flywheel to get when it goes out...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts