Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 zx4 has had alot of electrical trouble. When I first got the car late last year I had to leave it parked for about 2 weeks cause I didn't have insurance. When I finally went to drive the car it wouldn't start. I had to take the battery to autozone and get them to charge it. Fastforward to a few weeks ago. I was out and about getting some gas when I realized that my car wasn't accelerating properly. When I got back in the car after filling up things only got worse. The battery, traction control, e brake etc lights all came on. At this point I began heading to the dealer. Half way there the radio went out, the a/c died and I put my flashers on. The car was starting to buck me n stuff and I just barely made and emergency landing at my dealer. They told me it was the alternator, replaced it, got it back the next day, no problems. Now fast forward to thurday. I was getting a light for my bike and while out all the above mentioned things started to go wrong. This time though it got so weak that the transmission couldn't even handle switching to second and when it did it was violent. I was at a light less than a block away from the dealer and the car died on me. Needless to say I was upset. Got the road side service to come tow me to the dealer right before they were closing(literally). They took some notes, told me they had no loaner cars(plenty of loaner bmw's! as it was also a bmw place), and then left me there while sat around waiting on my ride. Thanks for the service! They didn't get to look at the car yesterday and they aren't open on weekends and I'm a college student so I'm gonna have to somehow use my mom's car simultaneously while she uses it to go to two different places at once! I'm hoping it's the frigging battery. HOPING! Cause if this car is gonna start giving me probs I'll sell it in a heartbeat while it's still new! Don't get me wrong, I love my little BeBop, but I gotta get around ya know. Besides I really wanted to get a mazda 3 and i hear they are great! So if anyone has this problem too, let me know cause I have no idea what to do! TY.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Well, if the alternator is new, it could be the battery... maybe the 2 weeks it was parked, made it die? dunno, but i'm guessing it would have something to do with it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
You dont get a loaner car at ford unless you have an SVT, also your alternator could have been bad or isntalled wrong, and ur battery could still be causing an issue, next time disconnect the thing from the car so it doesnt get drained, I cant say the issues are totaly ford fault nor the focus. 2nd If your car is having issue with electronics, good idea to NOT be using the a/c and sterio.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
All cars can have issues, even the expensive ones ( they break more often in most cases ). So far the troubles you have had are minor, just get them sorted out. I know its frustrating, but there are ALOT worse. Trust me, I'm old enough to remember Fiat and MG.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm gonna stick with the BeBop for now and just hope it's the battery. I do love my car! I miss it though.... :( Anyway I'll let ya know what was wrong and what happens.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
"At this point I began heading to the dealer. Half way there the radio went out"

That does sound a lot like classic symptoms of a bad alternator... if the alternator fails, the car countinues to run on battery power and, as the battery discharges, the voltage gradually drops, and things stop working as their "working voltage threshold" is reached.

I suspect you've had a failing alternator for a while and, as a result, the battery has been operating in a partially discharged state for quite a while, which is quite bad for a battery, particularly if it is a few years old, i.e., the battery is probably your current problem, and its failure was accelerated due to the alternator failing.

P.S. while unlikely, it is not unheard of for a new alternator to be defective. I would get a new battery and, after a few days of driving, measue the voltage (a) while the engine is running and (b) after it has sat all night. The first measurement will give you an idea of the alternator's performance and the second will tell you something about the state of the battery charge and whether you might have some parasitic current loss when the car is shut off (which is discharging the battery).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts